cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Endpoint Encryption Backup Server Testing

Jump to solution

We have a primary and backup McAfee Endpoint Encryption(EEM) servers (Version 5.2.3). The primary server’s SBDATA directory is replicated each night to the backup server using Safeboot File Database Backup scheduler. All encryption agents are configured with both the primary and backup servers.

We would like to test connectivity from the encryption agents to the backup server in case of a failure on the primary server. I plan to disable the “McAfee Endpoint Encryption Database Server” service on the primary and start the service (currently disabled) on the backup server. Encryption clients should first attempt to synchronize with the primary server. When they receive no response, they should then connect to the backup server. During this testing period, I will make minimal (if any) changes to the backup server database, as I don’t want to synchronize the database from the backup to primary server. After I confirm successful synchronization from the encryption clients to the backup server, I plan to put the primary server back in production.

What I want to know is if I missed anything important? Is there a KB article that outlines the steps that I need to perform?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: McAfee Endpoint Encryption Backup Server Testing

Jump to solution

yup. You can probably use the backup tool in follow-change-log mode to replicate just the changes back to save copying the entire DB. Just get it to dump the changed objects to a temp folder, validate them, and if good, drop them into your master DB.

The only thing you really have to watch for is deletions. They require manual handholding.

5 Replies

Jump to solution

How will you handle new machines that initiate first sync while you're running off the backup?

Jump to solution

I plan to add no new machines when running off the backup. I should only be on the backup server for a couple of hours for testing.

Jump to solution

The problem is that any password changes for users, audit information etc, will get dumped into your backup - They will get lost when you switch back to your primary again....

Jump to solution

Understood. So it sounds like it is important for me to replicate the backup server to the primary before switching back. Otherwise, I think of I have a solid plan for testing?

Jump to solution

yup. You can probably use the backup tool in follow-change-log mode to replicate just the changes back to save copying the entire DB. Just get it to dump the changed objects to a temp folder, validate them, and if good, drop them into your master DB.

The only thing you really have to watch for is deletions. They require manual handholding.