cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC install error: 'McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager must be installed'

Hi there

I'm pretty much a McAfee noob, and would really appreciate some advice.

We deploy our Windows client via a SCCM task sequence. Within that task sequence I am upgrading the McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.5 for PC to 5.2.12

However, when the McAfee task begins, a message appears:

'The McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager must be installed before this product can be installed'.

i don't understand this at all - why would the McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager need to be installed on a client machine before installing McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC???

My understanding is that the McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager is the management tool for managing all devices on which McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC is installed.

Why then would the management tool need to be installed on an ordinary Windows client machine? Surely this tool is for McAfee administrators only?

I have looked at the release notes and they say that the McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager must be installed prior to installing the encryption client, but this makes no sense to me - why on earth would anyone want the management tool installed on every newly built Windows client machine???

We have a task sequence for an older Windows client build which installs McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.5 for PC but no problems occur here, it installs without any problems.

If anyone can shed light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

JHH

23 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 24

Re: McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC install error: 'McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager must be installed'

I expect you are trying to install the eepc snapin for the endpoint encryption manager on your pcs - as you say, this is not going to work.

What's the name of the package you are trying to install, and where did you get it from.

There's a whole chapter on how to upgrade eepc in the eepc admin guide - I would advise following that. SCCM is not the right way to go about it, you would be much better off doing it through the endpoint encryption manager itself.

Re: McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC install error: 'McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager must be installed'

Thank you for replying, very much appreciated.

The .exe file we use is created from the McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager console, via the Client Installation Set wizard.

Using a SCCM task sequence to install McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.5 for PC on a bare metal client works without error, so I am confident SCCM isn't the problem.

The executable itself is named Desktops.EXE, the SCCM program contains a .bat file which simply calls this exe file.

The structure of the batch file for v5.2.12 is identical to that used by v5.2.5 so I can't see what can be wrong.

Thanks again

JHH

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 4 of 24

Your not meant to upgrade eepc by installing over the top of it - it simply isn't how the product works.

Have you tried running desktop.exe manually? If it still shows that error then there is something very wrong with the package - it would seem somehow the client install setup.exe has been replaced with the admin install setup program.

Sorry.

Sorry, you have misunderstood, I am not installing over the top of anything.

The SCCM task which installs (as part of a Windows client build task sequence) McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC is installing onto a blank pc - there is NO other version of Endpoint Encryption on the pc.

Speaking to the person who created the .exe from within the McAfee Encryption Manager, it was derived from the McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC setupEEPC.exe file which was downloaded from the McAfee site, then run through the Client Installation Set wizard to include our internal server information.

It was created as an 'online' file, I am now wondering if it cannot communicate with the Encryption Manager server, thus producing the error message.

Thanks

JHH

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 6 of 24

Ok, I get it now.

I suspect that the person who downloaded this file didn't install it - you need to have.

1. Upgraded eem to 5.2.12

2. Upgraded the eepc snap in to eem to 5.2.12

3. Updated your files sets with the new files

4. Recreated the installer

The setupeepc.exe file can not be used to install a client, it's the plugin for the management center.

I expect that's where the problem lies - you can't "run it through the installation set wizard" - its not how things work.

Thanks again for replying, buddy, very much appreciated.

Can you clarify something for me?

The Encryption Manager console on our McAfee server is at 5.2.12 level - however we're not sure what you mean by '2. Upgraded the eepc snap in to eem to 5.2.12'

Can you please clarify what 'eepc snap-in' you are referring to? Is this a different console from the encryption manager console?

Thanks again

JHH

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 8 of 24

The console manages many different products - each one has a snap in for the console. In eepc's case it's the setupeepc.exe file.

You need to run that on the same machine as your admin console to install the latest eepc client and management components.

Do you have 5.2.12 client file groups in your management console? If not I expect someone missed that step out.

Thanks again for replying, pal.

OK, this is my understanding:

1) The McAfee Encryption Manager console is installed

2) The EEPC part of the McAfee Encryption Manager console is updated by running setupeepc.exe (v 5.2.12). This is required in order to deploy the 5.2.12 Endpoint Encryption for PC client via the console.

Is that correct?

We do have 5.2.12 client file groups in our McAfee Encryption Manager console.

My McAfee contact confirms this has been done on our McAfee server, and that we can successfully upgrade clients to McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC via the Encryption Manager console.

That being the case, to get back to my original question, can you advise on how I create a 'standalone' install file which when run will install McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.12 for PC WITHOUT relying on the McAfee Encryption Manager console?

Such a standalone file has been created in our environment for McAfee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.5 for PC - this confirms such an install file CAN be created (at least for that version).

Are you aware of how such a 'standalone' file can be created?

Your support is very much appreciated,

JHH

Message was edited by: john_henrys_hammer on 14/02/13 06:10:37 CST

Message was edited by: john_henrys_hammer on 14/02/13 06:12:56 CST
SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 10 of 24

You create install sets using the button on the right click of a machine group.

It's not possible to use eepc without eem though - to configure and manage it, it HAS to talk back to the server at some point.

Did you read the chapter on installing from the manual?