cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee EndPoint Encryption + HDD bad sectors / OS boot issues.

You could, but chkdsk is very poor and dangerous tool for fixing problems.

Support is unable or unwilling to provide you with recovery XML file?

_IRIX
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 19

Well Peter, my "support" officialy does not support McAfee Endpoing Encryption, despite this software and the whole disk encyption is mandatory for the organization.

However I've rescued my files with FreeDOS FDD and five wasted days of my life.

It's pathetic - there is support for booting from FDD and no DVD/USB DRIVE.. or even CD ??! 🙂

Whatever.

Tthanks for your help guys - I appreciate it !:)

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 19

The "boot from floppy" option is not for doing recovey like you think. It's for booting from a floppy. Your it team could have sent you a Wintec disagnostic cd to fix your problems, or a USB stick, they could even have pxe booted the machine to fix it -all are supported by the product, but I guess not by your company.

Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Moved to eem group as this is eepc5

I have a similar problem, with poor off-shore IT support whose scripted answer is "reimage the machine".

My machine fails at windows boot - "Windows could not start because the following file is mising or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys"

The Encrpytion login is clearly working and unlocking the drive - it's frustrating that I can't get to it and run chkdsk and repair the install!

Are there any options to this? 

Thanks,

Lee

Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Sure - you can use a WinTech CD, boot off that, authenticate from the pre-boot system and then just copy the file back or copy your data off the machine.

You'll ask me where to get such a CD from next - unfortunately, you need to get it from YOUR IT department according to the Microsoft licensing system.You might be able to get it from somewhere else, but McAfee can't supply it to you unfortunately.

In cases where Windows files become corrupted, you can run a System File Scan from within WinPE.  I've recovered countless machines from BSOD etc using this technique.  Boot from WinPE 2 or 3 CD and authenticate from SBFS.  You'll need to do all the tricks of taking the disk offline etc first otherwise SB will be corrupt.  Then issue from a CMD prompt:

SFC /Scannow /Offbootdir=d:\ /OffWindir=d:\windows

Replace 😧 with a different letter if it comes up differently on your system, whatever the C: drive is in WinPE.

A better method involves modifying the Boot Configuration Database so that you can alternately boot to a specially crafted WinPE boot WIM, and then you have no need to run Wintech and all the headaches that presents.  You authenticate normally at the preboot authentication screen, then once past that choose the menu item for your WinPE boot image and the PE boots from your local HD instead of a CD or stick.  Once it is booted you are already authenticated and so you can copy files or operate on the C: drive as if it weren't encrypted.  WinPE doesn't know the difference since you authenticated at preboot. 

The second option is a very advanced option, but if any one cares to know I'll be happy to share.  I've saved hundreds of machines from BSOD that previouisly would have been re-imaged since SB gets in the way of tools like Startup Recovery in Vista.  WinRE in Win7 comes up from the F8 menu so it is possible to use that, but Vista has no such option that I know of.

Woody

cmh
Level 7
Message 18 of 19

Thanks for your response to this topic - unfortunately I am a newbie and am figure out exactly how to resolve a similar issue and need to run SFC/chkdsk on an encrypted drive.

I have the (separate) WinPE (only v2 ) and EETech 6.2 boot CDs.

I am trying to figure out exactly all of what is entailed in the "tricks of taking the disk offline etc first otherwise SB will be corrupt" process.

I have run through the dedicated EETech, authorize, file token & (lastly) restore MBR processes when decrypting a disk, but I'm hoping that we don't have to go through the entire decryption process just to run SFC.  Is there a specific list of steps you would recommend?

I've read the EETech User guide but I lost track of what to do about 40 pages in...

Thanks,

-Chris

Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 19

this thread is three years old - it's much better to start a new one detailing exactly what your question is and the versions of software you're using.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center