cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

MEE Admin Console making connection to Netherlands?

I am working with a client who everytime they open the MEE Admin console, from the actual server or from a desktop with it installed, is making a connection to some FTP server in the Netherlands.

I have a test environment setup on virtual machines using the same build 5500 as they are using and the connection does NOT show up on my side.

If you do a NETSTAT before connecting to the Admin Console you get something like this:

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:1066 localhost:62514 ESTABLISHED
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:62514 localhost:1066 ESTABLISHED

As soon as you open and authenticate to the Admin Console you get this:

Active Connections
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:1066 localhost:62514 ESTABLISHED
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:62514 localhost:1066 ESTABLISHED
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:1166 165.221.36.52:5555 ESTABLISHED - this is the MEE SERVER
TCP LTIBLPLYLH2:1169 62-192-111-187.dsl.easynet.nl:http ESTABLISHED - This is the UNKNOWN FTP Server connection. The connection goes away in approx. two minutes.

Any ideas on this one? Why would there be an active connection to an FTP server in the Netherlands when authenticating to the MEE server using the Console?

It only appears to be happening to the client i am working with... like i said, i cant duplicate it and McAfee general support cant either.
5 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

RE: MEE Admin Console making connection to Netherlands?

it's checking to see if any updates are available- if there are it will pop up a web page and tell you about them.

see the help/check for updates on startup menu option.

S.
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

My option on my test environment is set to check for updates on startup but when doing a netstat i do not get the connection to the netherlands?

Is it because i am using the evaluation license file maybe?
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

maybe the update FTP server is offline?

it's trying to FTP a file from www.safeboot.com - I don't think there are any updates available at this time so I'm not surprised.

Simon.
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Well i guess what i am saying is that when they try... right now.... they get the connection that shows up on the NETSTAT

If i try .... right now.... i dont get it. I am only assuming that its because i am using the eval license file that is only good for 30 days and they are using a real license file.

But who knows. lol. At least i know what its for.
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Check your console settings (on whatever system you're seeing the issue. Uncheck the "Check for Updates" option from Help menu. If that doesn't work, check SBADMIN.INI or SDMCFG.INI (can't remember which). One of them will have something like "checkForUpdates=No". If it isn't there, it will default to Yes.

Correction: it is in SBADMIN.INI
[Updates]
CheckAtStartup=No
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community