cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBR overwritten - problem to recover data

Hi,

First of all I'm quite new to Safeboot, so please bare with me.

Yesterday I installed anti-spyware tool called Spyhunter, which apparently messed around with the MBR. I couldn't boot up Windows XP anymore so I took a normal XP cd and went into the Recovery Console.

Issued the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" commands - now it's saying "Cant find NTLDR - press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot". When I go back into the Recovery Console and do a "dir c:", I get a lot of unreadable characters so I'm assuming this is Safeboot kicking in and preventing me to recover my data ?

Is there still a way to recover my data, and how would I (or our IT guys) do this ..?

Safeboot version is 5.1.7 and I have a username + password if it would be needed.

Thx in advance !!
11 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 12

RE: MBR overwritten - problem to recover data

if the drive was encrypted, just tell your IT dept do a "restore SBR" with WinTech/SafeTech - , that should fix the problem. If not they can do an emergency boot with SafeTech.

Cool, will do..

But is it normal that when I boot up with a WinTech cd, I get a "Disk Information e002000a" error, when I look at Drive Information ...? :confused:

I didn't authorise myself with the code of the day though - because only our IT guys have access to it, me thinks...

Cheers,
Geert
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 12

no, sounds like you don't have the right drivers loaded into your PE cd.

switch your HDD mode into compatibility in the bios and try again - don't forget to switch it back though afterwards.

or, load in the right HDD drivers.

Hm, can't find anything in the BIOS that looks like Compatibility mode.. It's a Dell D620 laptop with an 80Gb IDE hard drive.. so I don't think any additional drivers would have to be loaded during boot-time of the PE cd ?

The drive information seems to be missing (e002000a error) but 1 partition is visible.. Not sure whether this is good/useful news sad

I booted the same WinTech cd on an identical D620 and in Drive Info, the following was all filled in :

GUID
Alg ID
Database ID
Machine ID
SBFS Sector Map
SBFS Sector Map Count
Key Check

and as I said; nothing like this appeared on the first laptop which has the problem .. This didn't turn me into a happy puppy sad do you think there's still a chance to recover anything from that disk ?
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 12

switch disks between laptops and see if the problem follows the bios or the disk.

I swapped the disks; when I boot the second laptop with my original (corrupted) disk, WinTech gives the same Disk Information Missing error sad Guess this doesn't sound very hopeful...

I don't suppose it makes much sense to flash the BIOS of the first laptop and try again, right?
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 12

no, if the problem followed the disk, the problem is with the disk, not the bios. If the good disk works in either device, then that kind of proves there's something up with that drive.

It's not a seagate momentus with encryption turned on is it by any chance?

No, it's a Hitachi Travelstar - 80Gb SATA
MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.