cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local client updating database during sync of other users.

The other day I changed my password and noticed that the local client was updating the database with 4 userIDs.  One was mine, but why the other 3?  I'm the only user on my laptop.  There are default admins that are loaded initially and updated during syncs, but none that have logged on from my computer.  Am I wrong in thinking that the other users would have to change their password from my computer for my computer's local client to update the database?

7 Replies

Re: Local client updating database during sync of other users.

Do you still have that communication log? (SbClientLog.txt)

Can you post it? Only accounts that are assigned to your machine should be synced up.

That is of course if there are no other scripts that update this assignments dynamically (like AutoDomain script).

That part is long gone in the log, but let's back up to original question.  It doesn't matter if they are assigned or not does it?  I mean, would a user have had to physically use my machine to change their password for my laptops local client to update the database.

If assigned user changes password on OTHER PC, database gets updated. Then, when you login on your PC (which has also other user assigned), that info gets synced back to your PC (and will be shown in your sync communication log).

I understand that.  Those show up as database updating local client.  I'm talking about local client updating database.  These would have to be updated from my laptop.

It means someone tried to use these accounts on your machine - maybe someone tried to login with them and set some invalid attempts etc?

It is bad practise to have PC left unattended. If you have account lock policy on "x" failed attempts, and if you leave your computer at pre-boot with user name typed in, someone could walk in and press something then hit Enter number of times. And then your account is locked until recovery operation is performed.

That makes sense then. Thanks Simon.  I didn't realize that it would even keep information like that.

I guess I did if I think about it.  I once tried to logon to a laptop that hadn't been offline to sync since my password change.  I tried twice and then had someone in the office that was assigned on the computer.  A week later I had another two failed attempts on another computer... It locked my admin account.  Looking at the log, it showed 4 failed attempts.  Of course, the original laptop sync'd and change my password back to the old one, which I believe had to do with time issues.  Did you follow that? Hahaha!