cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenovo T400, 5.1.2, AHCI = BSOD stop 0x0000007B

The facts:

Currently manage 100's of T400's under SAfeBoot 5.1.2 encryption.  One T400 in particular was encrtyped successfully today.  The user had the laptop for 3/4 day, came to me advising that when th user restarted logged into pre boot, he was receiving a BSOD stop 0x0000007B when Windows XP splash screen and progress bar appears.  The BIOS config for SATA is set to AHCI.  CHKDSK /r is always run on our system as a pre-req prior to install.

If I change AHCI to Compatibility, Windows loads successfully without issue.

Upgraded the client to 5.2.4 based on recommendation of McAfee tech support based on KB67157.  Same ill behavior if I reset to AHCI.

Any possibility this could be a failing drive?  What about a Boot Sector Virus?  Corrupt boot volume?  Other thoughts?

Perhaps this is not  spefically related to a T400 as so much that it could be an issue with the system but I wanted to have that piece of information in the mix.

Thanks for your assistance.

9 Replies

Re: Lenovo T400, 5.1.2, AHCI = BSOD stop 0x0000007B

Do other, identically built laptops, work fine with AHCI, EEPC ? Or is there a difference which Windows mass storage drivers are present?

Other T400 and other Lenovo and HP laptops with MSD present work as they should.

So you confirm that all T400 were built from the same Windows image and all use AHCI?

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 10

if you can cure the stop error by switching the drive mode, then it's a driver problem, not an EEPC problem - most likely the ACHI drivers are broken (they are not used when you switch to ATA mode - then the default Windows drivers come into play).

Reinstall the drivers perhaps?

All T400's have the same image built by myself.  We have a gold image that we layer down and then satisfy DM and install post app's, hotfixes, etc.

In fact, other OEM laptops in use have AHCI enabled, no issues either.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

two identical machines, with identical builds and identical software, and identical bios settings behave differently? now, how do you explain that?

what happens if you swap the drive between machines? Does the problem follow the drive (indicating your build is not identical), or does it stay with the chassis (indicating your hardware / bios settings are not identical)?

That is the million dollar question today.

Unable to swap drives at the moment because I'm offsite supporting installs on a variety of Lenovo T series laptops.

I'm wondering if I decrypt, uninstall, reinstall I'll get a better situation.

It is possible that software configuration on problematic machine has been recently modified. I would use BartPE build CD with live windows and Wintech utility to get and analyze disk data.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

We had problems w/ v5.13 and T500/T400 in AHCI mode, so mandated they all be set to compabitility mode + SB options:

Build (image) XP in IDE compatibility mode.

Install 5.13 (no options)

1st sync: Upgrade to 5.17 with EEPC51 OPTION: Update MBR for EEPC compatibility and EEPC51 OPTION: Update number of sides reported in the OS boot sector.

Been pretty stable. Now rolling out 5.22, with NO options set, seems to work just fine w/ both AHCI and compabitility mode, on upgrades and initial builds.

I think the Update MBR thing was more for the T400s, while the "number of sides" was more for some Go-Books we have.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community