cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate machines from one SafeBoot server to another

Greetings from Dallas, Texas.

I am in the middle of migrating SafeBoot 4.2.15 to MEE 5500. I need more machines to test this.

I am trying to move some machines that are used for testing from the production environment to the test server.

How can I export and import machines? I am having difficulty with this and I cannot find documentation.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to SafeBoot (as in two weeks old).

Regards,
10 Replies
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

RE: How to migrate machines from one SafeBoot server to another

moving machines between databases is not really supported - it can be done but it's expensive in terms of time and effort, and also very risky. You can't move users between systems at all - that's simply impossible due to the crypto. If you want to do this you need to buy a few days of professional services to work it all out.

If your databases are related (if you started off with a fragment architecture), then of course moving is entirely possible.

WOW. We did one yesterday. We moved one test machine from the PROD environment to the test environment. I just didn't get to see how it was done by the guy who did it.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

chances are it will blow up pretty soon. It would only work if the two db's were almost identical - ie in their out-of-box guise.

certainly he would not have been able to move the users, or files etc with the machine.

S.

The DB's are identical. All settings, etc.

This is for testing purposes only. I am surprised that you would recommend professional services for a test environment. I have destroyed that server four times and reloaded without a problem. I just need one more machine that has 4.2.15 client on it so I can watch it upgrade the client to EEM.

Oh well...

What I am getting is error 5c020004 Authentication signature is not valid.

If someone could explain to me what that means that would be awesome!
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

it means the server keys of the currently running server, and the server keys built into the install package, are not the same.

when you moved the machine between databases, how did you point it at the new database server?

Using the SDMCFG.ini file. I am re-building the server right now and imaging the machine back to the original state. Once done, I will install 4.2.15 and make identical to our prod environment. Once that is done, I will create an installation set for 4.2 and install it on the test machine. After that, I will upgrade to 5500 and create one group called "no upgrade" and another group called upgrade. I will have both machines ready.

There is method to my madness. What I want to do to deploy the clients is to have several machine subgroups and only do one at a time.

I hope to God this goes well. sad
eltax91
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

this seems like a really crazy long-way round to me. I'd have said you should update the current server to the last version of 4 (for the database update), then install 5.1.x on the new server and over-write the database folder with the one from the old server.

Then i'd leave my exiting group with 4.x client files, and select a few machines to move to the new group. If the server on the original is set up using IP rather than DNS, then i'd replace the SDMCFG.ini file with one created on a new client from the new server, so the 4 machines can sync. If it's set up by DNS, then it's a simple case of publishing the appropriate forward record...
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

if you did it your way, chances our machines would never sync properly again - machines sync based on version number, so the copy of the database you made would have earlier entries than the DB you are moving from, thus the machines would think there was nothing to do.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community