cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get VZAccess manager to run at startup with SafeBoot

I am trying to get broadband connectivity with a USB modem so I can connect to my work network over VPN without having to logon the system first. I have the Cisco VPN client setup to run at startup but for me to use it I need the connectivity.  The application is VZAccess Manager from Verizon..  Thanks for your help.

8 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to get VZAccess manager to run at startup with SafeBoot

Hi Priceiii,

Do you know which version of Endpoint Encryption (Safeboot) you are running?

I've moved this to the EEM managed version. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

We are using 5.1.  I know we had to add some things to the registry to get our cics VPN client to startup properly.  More specifically, What we are after is for the system to start, safeboot does its thing, the OS is loaded, the logon screen appears,  press CTRL + ALT + DELETE, and the desired application starts.  This is how we have th VPN client starting. Thanks.

I do not believe the software they supply supports this feature, you will want to check with Verizon. As for the Safeboot side of this question any windows based software cannot run during the PreBoot Authentication screen. After logging into the preboot environment any program that can be configured to start before windows login will still function as normal.

Actually, that is not true.  We had to add items to the registry to get the Cisco VPN client to start.  We originally had it set through its interface to start before login, but it did not work.  We worked with Cisco and resolved the issue.  I can install the verizon software on a system without SafeBoot and  set it to start before login and it works.  If installed on a system with SafeBoot, even when set to do so, it will not start.

Do you run EEPC SSO? Does your Cisco software replace Windows GINA?

I agree with Peter, the SSO would not allow applications time to load before attempting to log into windows.

Yes to both.  Basically, you tell Windows to load SBGINA.DLL as first logon component. SBGINA then passes this control to CSGina.dll, which should then pass it to MSGina.dll. If you do not have any third party GINA components, set SB-OrigGinaDLL to blank.

Windows Registry Editor

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client]
"PreviousGinaPath"="MSGina.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SB-OrigGinaDLL"="CSGina.dll"
"GinaDLL"="C:\\Program Files\\SafeBoot\\SBGINA.DLL"

Sometimes chaining GINA's work, sometimes not... Depends on particular implementations, installation sequence and other things.

There is also SBGina.ini...

http://www.technicallychris.com/2009/03/14/troubleshooting-mee-safeboot-sso/

There was also less enthusiastic post on the same topic:

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/1916

on 1/28/10 10:50:46 AM EST
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community