cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

How to disable Safeboot? (Got error 0xe0020007)

Hello!

I have a notebook (HP 8710w) with MS Vista Ultimate 64-bit and HP ProtectTools on it via which I've enabled Drive Encryption (SafeBoot).

After encrypting the primary partition I think I put computer to Hibernate mode (since I wanted to continue my work from there).

Now, when I switch the computer on I get this message: "Safeboot Error 0xe0020007", and all stops.

Is there a way to make my notebook bootable again? Perhaps by removing SafeBoot client, if possible somehow?

I do have backups of my partitions made by Acronis True Image v11, though 'normal' backup not 'bit-by-bit' (or sector-by-sector), and now I am not sure if I should even try to restore my partition with Acronis, since I "fear" that SafeBoot is saved to a location on HD which is not accessed by Acronis, true? Or is it safe for me to do a restore?

Additional information is that disk tools do not even see notebook's hard disk anymore!

I've started Acronis Disk Director (booted from USB key), in hope to format the encrypted drive, but it doesn't see internal notebook disk anymore!

Is my internal disk totally corrupted now and needs physical replacing?!

Thanks in advance!

Boyan
4 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

RE: How to disable Safeboot? (Got error 0xe0020007)

Haven't seen the error before, but someone in this thread is having the same problem, you might want to post there and see if they found a solution. Have you tried any of the SafeBoot recovery tools such as SafeTech or WinTech?
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Nothing the product does will break your physical hard disk - you can still format it etc without any problems.

I suggest just use a recovery console or good old dos boot disk and fdisk /mbr the drive if you really want to wipe it and start again. Otherwise do an emergency boot on the drive with SafeTech to repair EEPC.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Nothing the product does will break your physical hard disk - you can still format it etc without any problems.

I suggest just use a recovery console or good old dos boot disk and fdisk /mbr the drive if you really want to wipe it and start again. Otherwise do an emergency boot on the drive with SafeTech to repair EEPC.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

And check for BIOS updates for that hardware model...

Is there anything special about your drive partitions? A utilities partition for reimaging or hardware vendor diagnostics? Sometimes those "special" partitions create unusual problems for pre-boot software.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community