Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 36

Hardware failure after encryption

After encrypting laptops, a few laptops have been shutting down when trying to login to the pre-boot login. Some machines seem to be experiencing overheating issues, but doesn't always seem to be the case. We can take the hard drives out and install them in other chassis and they work fine. Is there anything that could possibly affecting the BIOS?
35 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 36

RE: Hardware failure after encryption

Have you tried checking for bad sectors prior to encryption? What about BIOS? What are the make of computer?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 36

I remember one of these things happended to me a couple of months back. Try to update your OS to latest patches and see if that would help.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 36

Yes, we are checking for bad sectors. Like I said we can take hard drives and install in different chassis and they work fine. Many different models, but MFG is HP. We have been replacing MB and heat sinks.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 36

what makes you think it's a thermal issue? have you been getting SMART errors?

the pre-boot code does not do any power management, we kind of expected the machine to be powered on, logged in and then Windows would take that over. I have experienced situations though personally when my laptop has been bumped in my bag and turned itself on, then sat at the pre-boot screen for an hour with the CPU on max and got insanely hot.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 36

Well, that is what I'm asking. We are grabbing at straws. We can take hard drive out and install in another laptop and everything works fine.

So, We do not think it is a hard drive issue. Would you agree?
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 36

confusing.

The problem is the machine powers off while sitting at the login prompt. The software has no power management built in, so that infers that the hardware is involved (the bios is unloaded when the pre-boot is running) .

The most obvious cause would be that the machine ran out of power, or as you say, the cpu detected a thermal overload condition. I doubt the drive is bad - nothing indicates corruption at all. I don't see any link between bad drives and powering off. if the drive was bad you'd get error messages on the screen.

So the questions I guess to ask would be a) did the battery die? b) was the machine really hot when it turned itself off?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 36

The machines are docked and plugged into wall or undocked plugged into wall. So, power doesn't seem to be an issue. We shut down one laptop for a day and allowed it to cool if that is what it needed and it ended up doing the same thing again. (shutting down at pre-boot screen). I mean 50 or a 100 hundred out of 18,000 doesn't really seem like bad odds, but it makes you wonder why and what.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 36

Just to add to confusion:

Replaced MB, CPU and heatsink. Same problem! Take hard drive out and install in another machine and works fine. Power supplies are swapped around with no changes.
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 36

indeed. Turning itself off does sound like thermal problems though - does the BIOS not display thermal data on these machines?

what's the actual problem for your users though? Does it turn of while they are trying to login?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community