cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive crash + have McAfee End point encryption

Hi guru's,

I'm in serious trouble now because I dont have a backup of my 2 yrs data. My laptop crashed 2 days ago and I'm trying to get the data from my hard drive but no luck so far. I had McAfee End point encryption on my laptop. I do not have a safe tech boot disk. I removed and connected my hard drive to a different computer and it detects and shows that as a separate drive but when I try to open it it is not opening. I believe its because I have end point encryption software on my laptop/hardrive.

How do I decrypt my hard-drive ?Can I create a safe tech boot disk from a different computer and then try to do something ?

What are my options to get the data from my encrypted hard-drive ?

Please help !

Any suggestions will be highly appreciatated.

thank you,

mike

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

simply call your IT team - they will be able to use the normal tools to recover your data.

Our IT team doesn't support this. They have a different policy for recovery. They will only recover from the shared drive. I tried to get the safe tech boot disk but they said they will not support any issues of that sort.

Please help !

Highlighted

Make raw disk image of your hard disk, send original disk to your IT support and ask to recover data.

Copy your business manager on that process.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 6

unfortunately there's nothing you as an end user can do - even with the safetech disk you would not be able to do anything.

The system is designed to put all the power in the administrators hands - it's their machine and thus their data of course. If they for some reason don't want you to recover it, then they have that power and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Sorry to hear that but if IT can't help you then nothing you can do.

but i wonder how the encryption install on the first place? By Site IT?

If it installed by Site It then escalate to your boss that Site It causing your data loss..

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community