cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Can't access contents of second partition (d drive) with WinTech

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have Endpoint Encryption installed on my company laptop (If I click "About" on the logon screen, it says system version 5.1.8.0, Password Only Token Version 5.1.7.0). My OS is Windows XP SP3.

The laptop gave me a blue screen the other day (piece of advice: never plug in to power when your laptop is resming from hibernation).

Now it won’t load windows anymore - the safeboot authentication goes through fine, even shows me the Windows boot options – but regardles what I choose/do, windows says it can’t start because the hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

My company's IT support gave me a WinTech CD (version 5.1.7). I was able to successfully boot from it, run Safeboot WinTech and authenticate from SBFS using my username/password.

I run the A43 file manager and I am able to access the contents of partition 0 but not of paritition 1 (my former D drive).

Does anybody know why or how to get to the data?

I tried explicitly mounting parition 1 from Safeboot WinTech (it doesn't really seem to do anything or give me any message - so I assume its already mounted), besides I didn't have to explicitly mount to see contents of partition 0.

Is this something to do with the configuration of the WinTech CD?? Laptops in my company normally only have one partition - and I am pretty sure the person who built the WinTech CD using BART PE Builder had only one parittion.

Or maybe partition 1 was never really encrypted or something???

All my crucial data is on partition 1. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS: See below for what my disk looks like:

1.JPG

Contents of Partition 0 are accessible:

1.bmp

Parition 1 shows up as 0.0KB, no files

1.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 11

Re: HELP: Can't access contents of second partition (d drive) with WinTech

Jump to solution

why are YOU fixing this and not your IT team?

I would just tell WinTech to remove EEPC the and start from there.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
rbarstow
Level 10
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Since Windows told you hal.dll was missing, can you grab that from a working machine (same OS/SP), and overwrite the one on your C drive? Then chkdsk the drive (while booted from the CD), and then try rebooting off the HD?

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. I cannot see any files in C:\Windows!! Not sure why - maybe all the directory entries got corrupted. Everything else on the C drive is visible.

If I have try booting from the hard disk, I'll probably have to copy the entire Windows folder from my other laptop. I am not sure If I want to do this - dont want to overwrite stuff without understanding the problem, also, my other laptop (from which I'll have to copy WIndows folder) is much older and a different hardware config.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

why are YOU fixing this and not your IT team?

I would just tell WinTech to remove EEPC the and start from there.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

My IT team told me that they dont support data recovery from encrypted drives. Thier standard answer is that I should have backed up on the company server (well I didn't - I know I should have - but I travel all the time and the last backup I have is a couple of months old).

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

sucks!   Well, since your pre-boot works fine, the remove should put you back to a plain vanilla (broken) Windows environment. The only thing likely to go wrong is if you created that D partition AFTER EEPC was activated. If not, then you should be good to go.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. How do I remove EEPC? I don't have the daily authorization code - my helpdesk doesnt seem to have a clue.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

you can ONLY get the code from your helpdesk - It's their machine, so if they don't want you to recover it then you are SOL. But, seeing as they got you a WinTech CD from somewhere, I'm sure they can call up McAfee support and get you a daily code for it?

Jump to solution

The problem is heldesk has a set script they follow. Since decryption is not on their list - they dont know who to hand it over to. I got the WInTech CD by talking to somebody who has access to the internal desktop support website - he did not have any idea how it worked. There are a gazillion employees in my company. - finding the right person to make the call to McAffee may be problematic. I am going to try my best.

Thanks once again.

Jump to solution

Okay so I got the code and was able to decrypt the drive. Once decrypted, the A43 File Manager still showed an empty D drive - and for some reason chkdsk wouldnt run from the Wintech CD. So I used an ubuntu cd to mount and recover my files. Thanks a bunch!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community