cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thegof
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Guidance needed - Restoring (unencrypted) backup - how to correct EpePC has been corrupted error?

Ok, long story short.  Issue with drive.  Swaped in a new drive and restored a partition backup (not a raw image).  The backup is complete, but since it was created from the user side, the content is now not encrypted.  Alas, when attempting to boot, we get everyones favorite error, EPEPC has been corrupted [error 92h]. Booting from a rescue disk verifies that the files in the partition are not encrypted, so the problem is just how to correct and/or reset the error so we can boot and then restart the encryption protection. Our local site support is not clear on this, and simply wants to reimage the drive to stock, then reload user data directly from backup.  But, this will lose all configuration data, additional programs installed, etc.

Can someone provide a quick guide on how to reset this? Using Endpoint Encryption for PC v6.  Site support has already received the code of the day (for the next few days) and the xml file at this point.  Any pointers, suggestions, weblinks, etc would be greatly appreciated

Message was edited by: thegof on 5/8/12 9:53:15 PM CDT
3 Replies

Re: Guidance needed - Restoring (unencrypted) backup - how to correct EpePC has been corrupted error?

if the disk information in EETech standalone is good, you can eboot the machine, otherwise you'll need to decrypt the drive.

thegof
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Re: Guidance needed - Restoring (unencrypted) backup - how to correct EpePC has been corrupted error?

Ok, bear with the silly questions for a moment.

1. I've restored the drive from a backup which was taken from the user side, thus all the files were unencrypted. 

2. After a drive issue, the backup was restored to a new drive in the machine. Partition is NTFS format.

3. Upon booting I get the corrupt error.

So, to "unlock" (if you will) the now unencrypted boot drive from the still installed encryption software, I need to use EETech standalone (with the code of the day, and the recovery XML file). Then either

1. Emergency Boot, preferably on the corporate lan so that ePO repairs itself fully. How does it know the system is already unencrypted?

or

2. Remove Encryption and Boot Sector with file authentication (which will allow booting back into Win7)?  How will the system "know" that all the files are already in an unencrypted state? After I can successfully boot, I can then have IT redeploy ePO to the machine.

So I have this correct?  I want to get this to our IT group so that the next person doesn't have to go through the same mess.

Thanks!

1. If the drive is now unencrypted, all you need to do is flush the MBR (fixmbr etc)

None of what you are doing is supported unfortunately - it's best guess.