cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Synch from EPE 5.1.9 Server to 4.2.14 client not working

Hi,

Here is what I did:

Installed McAfee End Point Encryption version 5.1.9 on the server.

Attached the existing database from my old 4.2.14 server implementation.

Started the services.

Now, what i understand is that the client initiated synchronization is working fine (where the client initiates the synch to the server port 5555) but the force synch feature from the server to the client is not working (where the server can initiate a synch on port 5556 to the client). However, this is happening with all my existing 4.2.14 clients and everything is working fine with the 5.1.9 clients that have been created new.

Is there a workaround to enable this force synch from the server to the client?

Thanks

Regards,

Tushar

9 Replies

Re: Force Synch from EPE 5.1.9 Server to 4.2.14 client not working

That is a known issue and there is no workaround to get sync working from a 5.x server side.

You must upgrade 4.x clients to 5.x to get it working again.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but the fact is that I have 18,000 clients to upgrade; which, is far greater than a 5 day job. Anyway, I think i have no choice but to make a world wide communication that the Force Synch option does not work.

However, what now interests me is to know why technically this feature is not possible?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tushar

When we reported this issue, McAfee told us that that it is not a bug but a design feature ("works as designed"). End of story.

While it was convenient to have, it does not seem to be terribly important. You just have to tell other party (client) to perform a sync.

By the way, EOL for 4.2 is coming, so better have those Clients upgraded.

Thanks Peter.. seems like I really have no choice but to make a communication about this "missing functionality."

anyway, thanks a lot for your replied.

Regards,

Tushar

What i understood is that the force synch is just not available for my old clients and i have to communicate to the administrators!!

I too have this issue but my machines have just been installed with Windows 7 (only 3 have the issue)  I have always been on version 5 and above and have just recently upgraded to 5.2.2.4.

If I install the preboot file the machine simply does not sync until i remote onto the machine and force it from the client side.  Not a big deal to be honest but I have a few machines on slower connections not downloading all the usernames and when the user reboots there username is missing.

I am however getting very good at boot machine once

I did call McAfee and they spoke to Tier 2 who confirmed there was no known issue ???  Dubious!

Highlighted

Make sure that Windows 7 firewall is open for TCP 5556.

worked for me, cheers

i think the trick is to never assume the local tech team have done their job right. haha

Hi,

I fully share about the role of the local tech on site but in a wonder if the permeability of port 5556 is a role of the central product architect to highlight.

cheers,

tushar

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center