Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLarson
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 40

Re: Extremely slow and at sometimes completely unresponsive DB

I can almost gurantee this is caused by your Antivirus software on your server. Please confirm the following...

1. You have set your AV to ignore/exclude the database directory (SBDATA)
  2. You have set your AV to treat the following applications as "low risk" processes, whereby your AV doesn't scan their reads to or writes from disk
  3. - sbadmin.exe

- sbadmcl.exe

- sbdbserver.exe (this is the most important one)

- sfdbback.exe

- sbreports.exe

- anything else that might talk to our database, perhaps the web helpdesk application

If you already have your AV setup in this way, you should also check your dbcfg.ini. If your toascache is only running twice a week, there is a chance the re-index is happening immediately after the timeout time. By default, if you set the timeout time to, let's say, 1 day ... the index will re-create itself the first time somone logs into the db after that timeout has expired. So in effect, you are actually re-indexing the first time someone logs in after the timeout has expired. The way around it is to set the timeout to 0. This means it never expires and will rely completed on toastcache.bat to handle the re-indexing. This would be the smoking gun if your complain was "some times it is slow to login, but other times it is fast". The slow times are when the login event triggers the re-index activity.

Michael is right, it is slow.  I was on there Tuesday and had to uncheck pre-boot USB support on 8 laptops.  I was booted off twice and it took a total of 1.5 hours to accomplish this task in EEM.

Message was edited by: Biddyman on 11/11/09 11:09 AM

I know this should be in another thread,

Yes, please keep separate issues as separate discussions.

Other things that you have observed might be related to the fact that one user can use multiple encrypted PC's and vice-versa, many users can be assigned (through EEM or script) to the same machine.

I'm not running the endpoint encryption console, however I can speak that EPO will become very very slow and unresponsive if your SQL server is on a VM.  We have since moved our server to polyserve and don't experience the slowness you describe.  Are you running on a VM?

DLarson
Level 12
Message 25 of 40

mwilke

mwilke: how frequently do you clear your audits for users and machines? This is critical if you have been up and running for 1 year or longer.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 26 of 40

Dan, right now we are not clearing the audit trails.  I have already suggested this and we are working with managment to approve it.

The Database has only been up since February and deployment on this DB really didnt start until July so we only have four months worth of audit info on the DB.

The DB was pretty slow from the get go doing installs starting in late May.

Mike, it was so slow yesterday... I had a user locked out and invalidated from 0830 to 1630.  I couldn't get into EEM.

Was name cache rebuild spontantenously during that time?

Not sure, that would be a question for mwilke.  I couldn't even login to EEM.  It would just hang forever at the login and then get a communication error.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center