Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbarstow
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 40

Re: Extremely slow and at sometimes completely unresponsive DB

Interesting. We're not seeing the issue that you're seeing.

23,000 machines, 140 users.

Sync is every 720 minutes, w/ a 90 minute randomizer at startup.

RAID 1 (IIRC)

Name Indexing = on

Daily re-indexing (LifeTime=86400

I don't use the EEM console remotely, I RDP to the server, and run the console from there.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 12 of 40

But if you only have 140 users then i guess that cant be too bad.  If everyone was syncing at once youd only have 140 connections.

And we RDP to the server too.  It doesnt seem to make a difference if we are on the server or just on the remote console the behavior is the same.  Also, i am in the same building as the server so its not like i am networking across the US to open it up.  All high speed connections throughout.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 13 of 40

140 UserIDs in EEPC.

23,000+ real users on 23,000 real machines. Yes, there are LOTS of synchronizations!

I've retuned the database twice now, including one time of restoring the db from backup because it was so corrupted. We backed way off on the synchs, because we were getting database contention errors, when multiple clients were trying to sync the audit trail on the same user.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 14 of 40

Ok i gotcha.  Do you have a limit set on how many connections are available?

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 15 of 40

I don't see a limit in dbcfg.ini  Where did you set it?

When I check the server status, I rarely see more than 15-20 connections, and often only 2-3.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 16 of 40

rbarstow ----  I find it hard to believe that you only have 20 connections to your database at any given time.  Wow that is some craziness LOL

Go to the console, go to System tab... open your servers window and locate your server object.  Right Click the server and choose "Get Status"

This will tell you how many connections you have coming into your DB at that exact time.

And there is an INI file in the Encryption Manager folder on your server.... i THINK it is called something like SCM.ini but not 100% sure... you can set your connection limits in there.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 17 of 40

Get Status: McAfee Endpoint Encryption Database Server Version 5.1.9

Get Status: started on 11/5/2009 6:34:13 AM

Get Status: active connections = 7

About par for the course here.

no scm.ini...defscm.ini is the Default Client config.

The only .ini in the sbdata folder is dbcfg.ini, which doesn't have a setting (even commented) for max connections.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 18 of 40

Are your syncs open to the internet or do you only sync on your backbone?

Also, are your laptops usually always connected?

our syncs are open to the internet and our laptops are usually always on some form of connection so maybe thats why we see an extremely large volume of connections all the time.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 19 of 40

Not internet facing, so anytime a laptop successfully syncs, then it's either on VPN or on LAN (WAN).

Not sure what % are on VPN at any given time. I do know that dial-connections are <300 users per month.

Majority of laptops are connected pretty much 5 days/week, but there are always some people traveling, working from home, etc.

rbarstow
Level 10
Message 20 of 40

Well, after running through the numbers, you're still way high.

I figure with our respective # of clients, 720 minute interval for me, 180 for you, that amounts to 23,000 syncs/8 hr day for me, and 60,000 for you. Assuming even distribution, I should have 47.9 syncs/minute, and you should have 125 syncs/minute.

The longer a sync goes on, the more concurrency you'll see.

- I have only the $autoboot$ ID to upload audit trail on (no real user accounts being used)

- I prune the database every week (if machine audit is older than 45 days...away you go)

- I prune the machine groups and user audits every week (anything older than 2 days for an autoboot accout is purged)

small database = happy db.

I did implement the NTFS configuration changes, to speed the db.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center