Message 1 of 40

Extremely slow and at sometimes completely unresponsive DB

Database Details

Database is on RAID5 DAS

Users = 18,000 *estimate

Machines = 20,000 *estimate

Name Indexing = on

Connections limited to 250 -- was 200 but still had same issue

Random sync intervals for all machines ranging anywhere from 180 minutes to 240 minutes... some machines maybe even more.

We are seeing that especially on Mondays and usually on all other days as well... the Managment Console is completely unresponsive.  When you type in user id and password, it hangs and never opens the console.  We can do a netstat -a and see that there are 250 connections (syncs) happening at that time but what is weird is that other times when the console is working just fine we have 250 connections then also.

We are running out of things to try and I was wondering if any one out there in a large environment like this has any suggestions or has seen the same thing.

39 Replies

Re: Extremely slow and at sometimes completely unresponsive DB

Where is Management Console located (server and network wise)?

What database connection is being used for console? And for user PC's?

Do you see some abnormal activity in names cache? (check time stamps, any pattern?)

How often do you rebuild names cache?

mwilke
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 40

Peter, the location of the server is smack dab in the middle of the US in a large Data Center.  Fiber connections i do believe.

Anyone who connects to the database connects via IP address not the local file

What type of abnormal activity in the name cache?  What should i look for?

And we rebuild the cache twice per week via a script that runs the toastcache.bat file

Do you use the same MEE Database Server service for users and EE Manager connections?

I believe best practise is to have them separated.

I would drop client synchronisation frequency, increase number of connections drastically on Client facing MEE Database Server service, reduce TCP timeout to 5min.

Indication of name cache trouble is spontantenous cache refresh, which manifests in cache file sizes to drop and all timestamps to jump to current time (rather than majority showing last cache rebuild time). That could happen to user and machine objects.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 5 of 40

Do you use the same MEE Database Server service for users and EE Manager connections?

>>  Not sure what you mean here.  We have the product installed on the server and have the MEE Database Server service started of course.  On any computer (PC) that uses the admin console they just have a remote connection pointing to the servers database so is there really a need to have this service going on the PCs?  Is this what you are asking?

I would drop client synchronisation frequency, increase number of connections drastically on Client facing MEE Database Server service, reduce TCP timeout to 5min.

>>  Drop client sync frequency is something we are tinkering with a bit to see what we get.  What do you mean increase number of conn on MEE DB Server service?  Are you saying that the limit of 250 available connections is too low?  McAfee recomends keeping this at 200 but then they told us 250 last week so we moved it up to 250.  And we already have the TCP timeout set to 5min

Indication of name cache trouble is spontantenous cache refresh, which manifests in cache file sizes to drop and all timestamps to jump to current time (rather than majority showing last cache rebuild time). That could happen to user and machine objects.

>> Right now, we are rebuilding name cache on Sundays and Wednesdays.  Just checked the names.* files and all of them have Sundays date and time that the cache was rebuilt by the script.  So i assume there is no problems there.

We have additional servers that run "MEE Database Server" service just for Clients. Those run with 500+ connections limit.

"MEE Database Server" running on database server itself is used exclusively for EEM consoles. This one has default limit of 200 connections.

In older version it was "scom.ini", now connection limiting settings should be placed in "sbserver.ini".

You can also monitor number of threads on SbDbServer process in Windows perfmon. Number of threads - 2 is number of external connections.

Every object addition or deletion should modify name cache file. If all of them have unchanged timestamps, it means that there were no adds/deletes.

mwilke
Level 7
Message 7 of 40

Peter, can you email me at michael.wilke@gmail.com and explain this other servers running the service for clients only thing?  I have never heard of, or been told my Platinum support that this is possible.  Wondering why this wasnt mentioned to us before.

Community forum has private messages feature. Please check for my reply there.

"Your Stuff" -> "Private Messages"

on 11/9/09 2:38 PM
wepct
Level 7
Message 9 of 40

Like mwilke, I haven't seen anything that proposes or describes the use of multiple communication servers - it's not in the Best Practices guide.  Is there anywhere this is written up?

If you run multiple SbDbServer processes, doesn't this require you to make the Object Directory shared, which is explicity not recommended in the Best Practices guide?

If you run the server on a separate machine, doesn't this impact the performance of the connection and wouldn't it be better to connect clients to the instance running on the same machine as the Object Directory, as there are likely to be more endpoint connections than admin connections at any one time?

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60490

Key terms to multiple server architecture are: "remote servers", "Connection speed", "Windows server as file server". Since admin operations are more data intensive, it is better to have remote EEM's connecting to database server directly (via MEE Database Server service running there).

Also, when you create install set, you can specify multiple connections (names or IP's of main and/or remote servers). That offers some load balancing and redundancy in bigger environments.

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.