Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cdobol
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Error connecting to database [5c00000e]: Unable to convert a host name to an IP address

Jump to solution

We are seeing this error upon startup with the first sync  ateempt after a fresh install.   I assume that Windows Firewall is causing this.  My question is if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Error connecting to database [5c00000e]: Unable to convert a host name to an IP address

Jump to solution

Look up defscm.ini in your admin guide - its how you can set some pre-activation policy, including a sync delay.

6 Replies

Jump to solution

We see that all the time on laptops which are not connected to corporate VPN.

You can double-check the sdmcfg.ini on the client, and make sure that the server names are correct there. If they are, then it's a network (DNS) problem.

cdobol
Level 10
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

The server name is correct - its just right at startup there is an issue.  My guess is that the safeboot client attempts communication before windows firewall fully loads; hence blocking any network communication.  I'm looking at windows firewall logs to confirm this.  After the intial sync everything is fine since we have a 20 minute delay before the sync.  Maybe its a matter of setting a pre-req for the safeboot client service to have the windows fw service started.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Look up defscm.ini in your admin guide - its how you can set some pre-activation policy, including a sync delay.

cdobol
Level 10
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Simon, I will take a look at this tomorrow.

cdobol
Level 10
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

This worked perfectly.  Thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

no problem. I know that particular thing is buried in the manual - it's not obvious.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator