cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error: 0xe0050001 - Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

Our company sees this too, 30 PCs running 5.1.8 have died since the 17th.  XP, Vista, Win 7, variery of PC model types.  Have also raised McAfee Support ticket.

What is causing this?  We cannot link it to the user installing unexpected software but have had one user refer to Trojan being detected whilst running Internet Explorer, shortly before the PC crash which predeced this error.

MBR viruses are becoming widespread. They are deadly for EEPC 5.x environments.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 30

Pretty much any reputable AV product will block MBR viruses...

So it must be that AV products are not being used "properly" or some in use are not "reputable".

rmmiles
Level 10
Message 15 of 30

Yes, I would hope so. We are running McAfee VS 8.7i Enterprise + AntiSpyware (Patch 3) with latest DAT, which completely failed to catch the virus (and continues to fail, we have had many systems hit within the past week or so). I've submitted several samples to webimmune.net, hopefully McAfee will include a definition within a future DAT release.

Would that make it "not configured properly" or not "reputable"?

cdobol
Level 10
Message 17 of 30

Hello... I am having the same issue with "Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed".  It is occuring much more frequently with 5.2.5 and appears to be user centric (same user keeps on getting the error).  How did you determine a virus caused this?  How did you capture a sample of the virus for McAfee?

rmmiles
Level 10
Message 18 of 30

It may be that the same users are infecting themselves with the same MBR virus, repeatedly. Chances are pretty good that the virus was downloaded via an e-mail link or attachment, on a site the user frequents or in a restored file (My Documents, Desktop, etc).

Every system we have recovered has had multiple infections, for the most part only discovered with non-McAfee products (ex. Microsoft Security Essentials). Once the non-McAfee product discovered the infected files, I simply grabbed a copy and submitted it to webimmune.net for analysis.

cdobol
Level 10
Message 19 of 30

I posted this in another thread.....   Case closed as of now...  Thanks for your response.

I used TDSKiller from Kaspersky and it found a rootkit on the infected drive (just slaved the drive and it was still able to read the infected MBR).   I quarantined the files and submitted to McAfee (not detected by McAfee).  Detected as Win32/Alureon.MBR, Rootkit.Tdss.AW, etc by other vendors.

Scan results from one of the files --> http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=40914dfd49a3a0df1c4aa0cf867450762a3ac16d398a2559d...

and seem EEPC 5.X is not able to restore back SBR..

which then force us to do manual decryption.

Is there any tools that help to identify the SBR been alter by rootkit etc?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community