cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: 0xe0050001 - Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

We have recently upgraded our EEPC from 5.1.9 to 5.2.5.  We had upgraded over 2,500 machines without any problems, but over the last few weeks we have gotten several machines that after the upgrade will not boot and get an error message.  A few of the machines have gotten an error stating that the "wrong version is installed"  and others are getting "Error: 0xe0050001 - Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed".

Has anyone else seen this?  If so, were you able to get it fixed without re-imaging.  We have tried doing an emergency boot, tried removing Safeboot using the Safeboot tools, and also tried mounting the drive to pull of files or look at ini files.  None of these options have worked thus far, because the drive is not seen or it will not complete the boot process.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  I am opening a ticket with McAfee Support today also.

29 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 30

Re: Error: 0xe0050001 - Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

mostly I've seen this where people have mistakenly deployed an old install file group to newer machines, causing a mix of product versions. So, on a machine reporting this error, check the client log for recent file updates.

rmmiles
Level 10
Message 3 of 30

Our organization has also recently gotten hit with a number of "Error: 0xe0050001" issues. Our clients are currently at 5.2.4. I was able to recover a few systems by doing the following;

- revised recovery instructions -

1. Get the machine key and authorization code from your administrator

2. Put the machine key (.sdb) file on a USB jump drive

3. Attach the USB jump drive to the system in question
  4. Boot to BartPE WinTech CD to restore the EEPC MBR (doing this with the SafeTech CD appears to be less reliable and tends to take longer to load the machine key)
    1. Start WinTech utility
    2. Enter the Authorization code
    3. Set the Algorithm – click on Algorithm > Select Alg
    4. Authenticate using the Machine Key – click on WinTech > Authenticate From  Database, locate the machine key (.sdb) file on the USB jump drive
    5. Restore the MEE MBR – click on Disk > Restore EEPC MBR
    6. Close the WinTech utility
  5. Shutdown the system
  6. Remove the USB jump drive and any other external drives

7. Boot using the SafeTech CD to perform an Emergency Boot
    1. Enter the Authorization code
    2. Authenticate using SBFS (pre-boot) – click on SafeBoot > Authenticate  form SBFS
      1. You will most likely see an error message which states, “Authenticating the  user failed with error: E002000E”, or a “Chain error”
    3. Attempt to Authenticate using SBFS again
      1. The second attempt should work, if not try once more
    4. Start Emergency Boot – click on SafeBoot > Emergency Boot, follow the  instruction

8. Once the system has booted into Windows force the MEE agent to synchronize
  9. Allow the synch to finish, there should be a line stating, “Finalizing  emergency boot recovery”
  10. Once the synchronization is complete, reboot and confirm the pre-boot is  working
  11. Boot back into Windows, make sure the anti-virus software is the latest  version and up-to-date, then start a full system scan.

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 10/22/10 3:37:15 PM CDT
    jickfoo
    Level 11
    Message 4 of 30

rmmiles

What instructions did you follow to create Wintech and Safetech? We have the same issues but I'm struggling trying to get the right rescue resources in place.

Thanks,

Justin

Highlighted
    rmmiles
    Level 10
    Message 5 of 30

WinTech and SafeTech Administration Guide.pdf

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 3/31/11 9:01:08 AM CDT
    jickfoo
    Level 11
    Message 6 of 30

@rmmiles

Thanks.. Your procedure worked like a champ. Now if I could only get Safetech to run off a bootable CD. Floppies are not realistic. I need to distribute this procedure to 50 people. 0 of which have floppies. If you have any tips let me know. I tried using a procedure on this site but it required Nero.

When I got the machine booted up, there was a nice Virus message waiting for me. I guess we have to be extra sensitive when it comes to viruses on encrypted machines.

Thanks again,

Justin

rmmiles
    Level 10
    Message 7 of 30

From a system with "McAfee Endpoint Encryption Manager" installed:

1. Open: CMD (with elevated permissions if running Vista or 7)
    2. Navigate to the following folder:  “C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption Manager\SafeTech” (or “C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption Manager\SafeTech” for 64bit OSs)
    3. Enter the following command: bootdisk safetech.rtb safetech.dsk

From ImgBurn (highly recommended free burning application for Windows):

1. Select “Write files/folders to disc” > Select “Advanced” > Select “Bootable Disc”
    2. Check “Make Image Bootable”
    3. Select “Floppy Disk (1.44 MB)” from the “Emulation Type:” dropdown
    4. From the “Boot Image:” field:
      1. Click the “Browse for file…” button
      2. Navigate to: “C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption Manager\SafeTech” (or “C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption Manager\SafeTech” for 64bit OSs)
      3. Select: “safetech.dsk”
    5. Click the Burn button, and click OK (it shouldn’t take long since the image is so small)

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 3/31/11 2:17:17 PM CDT
    jickfoo
    Level 11
    Message 8 of 30

Thanks, this worked great.

I am also getting same error on several machines..

When I perform Restore Safeboot MBR it works for some machine.

1) For some machines after selecting Restore Safeboot MBR it giving the error as 92H..For this error I have performed emergency boot..After that i  got the error as e0020001a Disk information not present.

and

2) For some machines I am unable to select the option "Restore Safeboot MBR" it is in invisible mode.

Could you advice on both case...Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Ravinder

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
    Reliable Contributor
    Message 10 of 30

for 1, most likely you are using the wrong SDB file for the machine - it has probably activated more than once and you picked the wrong object.

for 2, the feature was only added in newer releases, so if a machine was activated prior to this, the SBR won't have been captured at that point, so won't be available in Safe/WinTech.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  1. Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  2. How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  3. Support: Endpoint Security
  4. eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  5. Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community