Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ttobin
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Endpoint Encryption (safeboot) recovery using password

Hi,

My Windows 7 OS is corrupted, it goes through the McAfee Endpoint Encryption authentication, then gets stuck on "Loading operating system...".   I can boot from a Win7 recovery CD to command line, but it says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system." when trying to access C to recover (understandable since it's encrypted).   What I'm looking for is the ability to authenticate the encryption so the windows recovery can work (or I can reinstall, hopefully saving data).   I'd expect some form of driver I install on my Win CD to get to the drive through my McAfee password.

Based on other posts on this forum, I realize I should be working with my corporate IT (and I am), but they're not able to figure it out easily other than to send the machine back and they'll do a full unencrypt (a 4-5 day effort with lost productivity).   They're willing to work with me if there is a way to do an OS repair, but they're not sure how to do that.

I read about a potential recovery solution (also saw something about 'code of the day'?), but not sure where to begin to find that information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

1 Reply

Re: Endpoint Encryption (safeboot) recovery using password

Hello,

You will need to build a recovery cd by following the instructions available here https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22214, but I would advise that this is performed by your IT since this is a complex tool and it's misuse can lead to data loss.

HTH,

Fausto

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community