Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ttobin
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Endpoint Encryption (safeboot) recovery using password

Hi,

My Windows 7 OS is corrupted, it goes through the McAfee Endpoint Encryption authentication, then gets stuck on "Loading operating system...".   I can boot from a Win7 recovery CD to command line, but it says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system." when trying to access C to recover (understandable since it's encrypted).   What I'm looking for is the ability to authenticate the encryption so the windows recovery can work (or I can reinstall, hopefully saving data).   I'd expect some form of driver I install on my Win CD to get to the drive through my McAfee password.

Based on other posts on this forum, I realize I should be working with my corporate IT (and I am), but they're not able to figure it out easily other than to send the machine back and they'll do a full unencrypt (a 4-5 day effort with lost productivity).   They're willing to work with me if there is a way to do an OS repair, but they're not sure how to do that.

I read about a potential recovery solution (also saw something about 'code of the day'?), but not sure where to begin to find that information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

1 Reply

Re: Endpoint Encryption (safeboot) recovery using password

Hello,

You will need to build a recovery cd by following the instructions available here https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22214, but I would advise that this is performed by your IT since this is a complex tool and it's misuse can lead to data loss.

HTH,

Fausto

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community