cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motc7
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 76

Re: Endpoint Encryption Files and Folders breaks Windows 7 Devices and Printers.

DaveTeknocraft wrote:

We've now been asked to replicate the problem (again). Both of our machines that are exhibiting the issue are the only Windows 7 machines that the client owns, and both are owned by busy people. This isn't an ideal way to solve the problem - hitting it with a sledgehammer (format) to try and solve it.

Why are they asking you to replicate it again, when they know it's a broken issue on their part?  What would be the purpose in that McAfee?

It's amazing this topics is now over 6 months old, been escalated to development, acknowledged by McAfee as a problem and yet, we are hearing nothing back.

We are going to ask for our money back.  this is silly.

motc7
Level 7
Message 62 of 76

Re: Endpoint Encryption Files and Folders breaks Windows 7 Devices and Printers.

Well, out firm has made it official.  As of Tuesday of this week, we have cancelled our package that included EEFF (Endpoint Encryption For Files and Folders) which was a significant cost reduction.  We explained to our vendor that we aren't going to pay for something the McAfee has decided to no longer update it's users on what they have readily admitted is a bug in their software.

So if we don't have any communication at all, and we cannot troubleshoot or configure devices and printers  because the window will not display after installing EEFF, then we have cancelled.

This is truly sad that it came to this.

I re-replicated the issue in a virtual machine, and have sent them a checklist that shows how to replicate the issue. Still haven't heard anything back.

Luckily it only affects two machines at the moment as the rest are still on XP, but this will become a business critical issue as we upgrade more and more machines to Windows 7.

motc7
Level 7
Message 64 of 76

DaveTeknocraft wrote:

I re-replicated the issue in a virtual machine, and have sent them a checklist that shows how to replicate the issue. Still haven't heard anything back.

Luckily it only affects two machines at the moment as the rest are still on XP, but this will become a business critical issue as we upgrade more and more machines to Windows 7.

Don't hold your breath for a response I'm afraid.  It's been two months now and we haven't heard a thing.  No emails, phone calls, nothing.

I even wonder if McAfee will even fix the issue.

motc7
Level 7
Message 65 of 76

Nice to see McAfee keeping us updated on this topic. 

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 66 of 76

this is a community forum Hunter - not a McAfee staffed one . If you've not received an update to a ticket logged in McAfee's support system, let me know and I'll bump it for you.

Highlighted

I would love to be able to tell you the number of my ticket, but after I was unwilling to spend the time to upgrade to a version that was known by this forum to not have fixed the problem, my ticket was closed by the support rep.  I dont know how other companies are dealing with this BUG but I have decided to uninstall the product from any Windows 7 machine considering this problem renders the machine unable to configure any bluetooth devices and makes installing/configuring printers significantly difficult.  Any chance that support has even validated that they can replicate the problem?  Only takes a plain-jane install of Windows7.... nothing special.

McAfee Employee kthomas
McAfee Employee
Message 68 of 76

I needed 2 cups of tea to read through all of this lot

OK, down to business.

I am part of the KnowledgeBase team and process all Endpoint Encryption articles. When I spotted this thread hitting my Inbox I went hunting for a KB, as this topic rang a little bell.

This issue is documented and the good news is that the article states the following

Good news 1:

This issue is resolved in the McAfee Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders 3.2.6 maintenance release, which is not currently available. This article will be updated when this release is posted to the McAfee download site.

It will also be addressed in the up and coming new EEFF 4.0 version which is ePO 4.5 managed.

Good News 2 - Workaround

Exempt the process DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe prior to installing the product.

To add a process to be exempted, refer to the Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders Administration Guide under the section "Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders Policy Settings".

For a full list of product documents, go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/Default.aspx), and click Read Product Documentation.

------ ----

This article was only created three weeks ago to assist customers to know that several cases had been escalated and the issue investigated and resolved. Endpoint Encryption releases maintenance releases to resolve such issues at regular intervals. It takes time to research, fix, QA the fixes and then releases the solution. 

I will continue to monitor the community discussions and participate as often as I can to assist and back up any issues with articles where available.

All the best everyone.

Kevin

(Also an Englishman born and bred )

To access this article go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) and search for KnowledgeBase article KB69384

ServicePortal: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69384

Kevin Thomas
Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

Message was edited by: kthomas on 23/07/10 01:00:47 CDT
motc7
Level 7
Message 69 of 76

kthomas wrote:

I needed 2 cups of tea to read through all of this lot

OK, down to business.

I am part of the KnowledgeBase team and process all Endpoint Encryption articles. When I spotted this thread hitting my Inbox I went hunting for a KB, as this topic rang a little bell.

This issue is documented and the good news is that the article states the following

Good news 1:

This issue is resolved in the McAfee Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders 3.2.6 maintenance release, which is not currently available. This article will be updated when this release is posted to the McAfee download site.

It will also be addressed in the up and coming new EEFF 4.0 version which is ePO 4.5 managed.

Good News 2 - Workaround

Exempt the process DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe prior to installing the product.

To add a process to be exempted, refer to the Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders Administration Guide under the section "Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders Policy Settings".

For a full list of product documents, go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/Default.aspx), and click Read Product Documentation.

------ ----

This article was only created three weeks ago to assist customers to know that several cases had been escalated and the issue investigated and resolved. Endpoint Encryption releases maintenance releases to resolve such issues at regular intervals. It takes time to research, fix, QA the fixes and then releases the solution. 

I will continue to monitor the community discussions and participate as often as I can to assist and back up any issues with articles where available.

All the best everyone.

Kevin

(Also an Englishman born and bred )

To access this article go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) and search for KnowledgeBase article KB69384

ServicePortal: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69384

Kevin Thomas
Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

Message was edited by: kthomas on 23/07/10 01:00:47 CDT

regarding Good News number 1:  We'll believe it when it's released.  Sorry, not trying to be rude.

Regarding Good NEws number 2:  That workaround does not work.  We tried that with a McAfee rep over the phone and it never worked.

If the new release incorporates something along the lines of number two, I doubt it will work.              

McAfee Employee kthomas
McAfee Employee
Message 70 of 76

Hi,

I do understand your frustrations but the whole point of maintenance releases is to provide quicker solutions for issues found with previous releases. In days gone by a customer would have to wait longer when EE products were released as a suite. With maintenance releases fixes come out at more regular intervals.

The Defect shows the issue was reproduced in house and the fix tested and included in the next release.

Only time will tell but half the battle is to reproduce, if we can reproduce (as in this case) then the solution should work.

The article will be updated as soon as the RTW for EEFF 3.2.6 is obtained.

All the best.

Kevin

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator