Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 15

Re: Endpoint Encryption 5.2.3 HDD with failing sectors

Now, if there were a tool to decrypt a drive in less than 24 hours, that would be a treat!  I've yet to understand why it takes 3 hours to encrypt our drives, and 2 days to decrypt them.

There is such a tool - WinTech. It runs at the same speed as the original in-Windows crypt, because effectively it is the same thing. I think you're using SafeTech which is taking much longer, that's because it has to keep calling the BIOS to access the hard disk, because there's no "native" support for SATA in the operating system (much like there's no native support for SATA in XP itself).

So, if you want to do it quickly, just decrypt from WinTech - you should only need SafeTech if you need to do an eBoot.

I was actually referring to Wintech, but it is XP and it's the BartPE variant.  We do have a new WinPE build, but I've been lucky enough to not have to decrypt anything for months.

**knock on wood**

In windows, it takes @ 1.5 hours to encrypt each of our 40gb partitions.  Decryption inside Windows seems the same.  However, the BartPE Wintech will take that drive more than an 8 hour shift to decrypt, so I don't know exactly how long it takes.  With 2 partitions, it's a 2 day process.  If you think this is not correct, I'd love to hear ideas how to improve our environment.

SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 15

BartPE IS Windows, so it should take the same time - if it does not, the most likely thing is you don't have the right drivers in your BartPE image - you're probably relying on the built in Windows ones. You might need to upgrade your algorithm in your BartPE image as well to take advantage of AES-NI.

SafeBoot wrote:

you're probably relying on the built in Windows ones.

This is most likely the issue.  I asked around and others that have decrypted with the latest build say the same thing, it's slow.  So the common theme would be not using model specific drivers.  I'll have to look into rebuilding it again.  Should be fun with all the models we touch.

**Thread HiJack Successful** - sry

SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 15

If you have a support contract, you can download the software from McAfee.com whenever you like. No, we won't make a WinTech CD available for download - you need a Microsoft OS Licence to use WinPE, so you need to coordinate that yourself with Microsoft - McAfee can't sell you or give you an OS Licence.

Sure, you can purchase the whole package again with another year of support from any McAfee reseller, just talk to your account manager?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community