Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBC_CS
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Emergency boot success stories

Are there any?

I have tried emergency boots probably 20 times and have never been successful. I have a laptop sitting on my desk right now running 5.1.9, a build 5500 safetech cd that I got from tech support today along with the (incomplete) knowledgebase article.

I followed the instructions just like every other time I have tried to do this and the it just sits there. Either it closes the last dialog box and freezes with the UI still on the screen or it proceeds to the black screen and freezes there.

What am I missing?
10 Replies

RE: Emergency boot success stories

You are missing better SafeTech tool. I miss it too.

Did you try to run SafeTech from a floppy?
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

It can take a long time for SafeTech to respond, minutes, maybe longer - it works best if you use it off a real floppy - USB stick support is tentative due to the bios swapping that has to go on.

What about USB floppy? I did not see laptop with a "real floppy" for some time.

BTW, I have few systems with same problem. Leaving them sitting overnight did not help.
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 11

should be fine as long as the bios properly supports it.
Highlighted
RBC_CS
Level 7
Message 6 of 11

I left the laptop from yesterday (booted from cd) on for 17 hours at the same screen (ui up, screen / mouse frozen).

Does "minutes, maybe longer" cover 17 hours?

I don't really understand the concept of 'works better' as it applies to this conversation. Works better implies that there is a state of working to begin with and I do not consider waiting 17 hours for a 1.5mb cd to do its thing 'working'.

peter_eepc: you say you have a few systems with the same problem. Does this mean that you have systems that DON'T have this problem?

Thanks
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

SafeTech really does not support CD's at all, if that's what you are trying to use - at least use something which half emulates a floppy.
RBC_CS
Level 7
Message 8 of 11

Fair enough. I will give that a shot.

Of course!. Most of systems that were tested with 5.x perform Emergency Boot just fine. It is that there are some systems that misbehave.

I actually run all 3, USB, Floppy and CD. If the machine is fairly new as said before the BIOS will support the boot from USB option. It is by far the quickest and if you require any drivers you can just drop them straight onto the USB Stick.

We have recovered quite a few laptops from the brink of disaster with Safetech. Only a few have been lost and that was not down to Safeboot but hard disk failure or corruption.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator