cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Encryption 7.1.3 on Surface Pro 3

Jump to solution

Installing Drive Encryption 7.1.3 on some new Surface Pro 3s (Running Windows 8.1 Pro). Disabled BitLocker and had no issue with the install or activation. However, Whenever we log in the page freezes and the device does not actually boot. Sometimes it freezes after a few seconds on the login page, sometimes it freezes after the password is entered. I disabled Secure Boot and TPM before the install. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Drive Encryption 7.1.3 on Surface Pro 3

Jump to solution

I wanted to give a final update with a solution. I found this article here: McAfee KnowledgeBase - System becomes unresponsive during preboot authentication on Dell 5x50/7x50 w... . This describes the exact issue I was having, although it specifically mentions Dell products in this article. However, I still followed the workaround using the steps in the product guide, but disabled the out-of-band management instead of enabling it (we currently don't use those features so it did not effect our environment at all). After doing that, I performed an emergency boot to get past the login and enforced the policy. I no longer have any freezing. I have restarted over 20 times now and not once has it locked up on me. I feel pretty confident moving forward now. Thanks!

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Moved provisionally to Encryption: EEM Managed for faster support.

---

Peter

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi mandrews2314

Yes we have exactly the same issue with the surface pro 3's. You might find if you plug an external keyboard in you can type the password in quickly but it defeats the object of having a tablet.

We are now looking at McAfee Native Encryption to manage Bitlocker on tablets only and to support some Mac's we are trialing.

Sorry it doesn't really help getting MDE up and running on the surface pro, but the answer back from McAfee is that it is not an issue with the software but with the OEM and there implementation of UEFI Bios standards. We have seen nothing but issues with all tablets we have ranging from the Surface Pro to Lenoovo, HP and Dell.

Cheers

Steve

Jump to solution

I wanted to give a final update with a solution. I found this article here: McAfee KnowledgeBase - System becomes unresponsive during preboot authentication on Dell 5x50/7x50 w... . This describes the exact issue I was having, although it specifically mentions Dell products in this article. However, I still followed the workaround using the steps in the product guide, but disabled the out-of-band management instead of enabling it (we currently don't use those features so it did not effect our environment at all). After doing that, I performed an emergency boot to get past the login and enforced the policy. I no longer have any freezing. I have restarted over 20 times now and not once has it locked up on me. I feel pretty confident moving forward now. Thanks!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator