cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defragmentation with EE

Does the Windows Defragmentation utility have any affect on an encrypted drive? Are there any precautions that need to be taken before running the utility?

thanx
4 Replies

RE: Defragmentation with EE

I wouldn't have thought so as after pre boot logon and authentication the Operating System acts as normal (with the exception of old System Restore points with are invalid)
RBC_CS
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 5

Once you are in windows, the encryption is unlocked. Moving data around the drive when you are already in windows is not going to give you a problem.
mwilke
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Some third party utilities will ignore the files that are marked as "do not move" and move them anyway.

if you use one of these third party defrag utilities and it moves the safeboot files, you will need an emergency boot to fix it.

So yes, defrag CAN hurt, but the Windows Defrag Util is fine. Any of them are fine as long as they do not ignore files marked as "do not move"

At least this is my experience.

FWIW, we've been using DiskKeeper with no problems. When I've asked support this question I was told to watch out for boot time defrag utilities but that Windows defrag utilities were a.o.k.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community