Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhautik
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

Successfully tested the client upgradation with the help of  EEPC script that run from client side. This script run on specific group (which mention in script) by changing the file group of Client files to 4.2 to newer version client files (5.1.9) . If this group envirnment is mix mode (4.2 & 5.1.9 clients) then it will change the file group of all machine of that group (if its 4.2 or 5.1.9) .

So how can I go ahead .. it will effect my 5.1.9 environment ?

Please share your views.......

11 Replies

Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

Can you post script content? It is not clear if file-group is updated on one machine object, all machines in the group or just group properties.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 12

There is a demo script that does this already, you can get it via platinum support I think.

but a mixed 4/5 machine group should not be a problem.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 12

why are you upgrading to 5.1.x? It would be better to upgrade to 5.2.x at least?

bhautik
Level 10
Message 5 of 12

Ya , u r right ... but we have already upgrade our all servers to 5.1.9. so first w'll go through 5.1.9 & then move to 5.2.x.

Actually from my testing when I run the script (sbadmcl command) from any client to upgrade (here I mention group name in sbadmcl command). so it will upgrade all the machines from this group. But my problem is if this group contains mix envirnment (4.2 & 5.1.9) then as per this command it will change the client file group of each n every machine (within this group) so it gives any imapct on my existing 5.1.9 machines ????

PLease advise...

Existing 5.1.9 Clients should have that fileset already, so changing fileset to the same fileset should not cause problems there.

But post that script so we can review it. From the fact that group keyword is there, I cannot advise much. on 2/4/10 7:19:07 AM EST
bhautik
Level 10
Message 7 of 12

Oops sorry I missed that on previous comment .... command as below ,

sbadmcl.exe -command:SetMachineFileGroups -group:TestingMaachines -file:SBADMCL.ini -adminuser:sbadmin -adminpwd:12345

Contains of SBADMCL.INI file ;

[FileGroups]
; if this option is set to "Yes" all current file groups are removed
before
processing the files in this section. Otherwise, the groups specified
here are
combined with the existing groups.
RemoveExisting=No
; All entries that start with a "+" specify file groups that should be
added
to the machine(s) if they are not already present. You can have any
string
after the "+".
+SomeFileGroup=EEPC51: Endpoint Encryption 5.1.9 Client Files
+AnotherFileGroup=EEPC51 LANG: German (PreBoot, German/Swiss Keyboard)
; All entries that start with a "-" specify file groups that should be
removed
from the machine(s) if they are present. You can have any string after
the '-'.
;
-UnwantedFiles=Safeboot 4.2 Client files
-MoreUnwantedFiles=Even More Useless Files

And there is no controlled group funda also.

Message was edited by: bhautik on 2/4/10 6:58:00 AM CST

That should be good, but unless that group is small, I would rather perform fileset update on each machine in small batches.

Keep in mind that client upgrade is a sensitive task and unforunately it occurs silently, so user is oblivious to ongoing process. Abrupt reboot or shutdown during upgrade process could reneder PC inaccessible. Also, massive upgrade to many clients, can overwhelm server and cause client communication problems.

bhautik
Level 10
Message 9 of 12

Okkk...

But I have huge database approxx 20 k (User + Machine ) & u can say that each group have atleaset 500 machines..

So please suggest which is the easier way to upgrade ... from Server itself (But here again force synch issue from Server to client coz its 4.2 ).....

Or from Client side....

Highlighted

As I have said, I would run script on the server but updating relatively small number of machines at each time. I would then monitor situation and release more batches as machines upgrade successfuly.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community