cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Client Status Log Blank after 5.1.8 upgrade

Has anyone come across the above problem?

Here is the scenario - machine is already encrypted fully by an install set that was created with the 5.1.6 Device Encryption files. Another install set was created taking into account the 5.1.8 client files. The installation runs successfully over the top of the "old" build (eepc.exe) however after a reboot, looking in the Client Status window - it is just blank. Even hitting sync doesn't bring anything else up.
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

RE: Client Status Log Blank after 5.1.8 upgrade

Have you tried to update the client files via the console rather than by creating an install set ? Does that work ?
Highlighted

I have indeed tried that and I get exactly the same problem with a blank status log window sad
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 4 of 8

Were they installed to the same location? My old install sets were defaulted to c:\progam files\safeboot where 5.1.8 wants to install to c:\program files\mcafee.

Can you do a 'dir /s sbclientlog.txt' from the root of c: to see if there is a second file that is getting updated?
Highlighted

The "old" txt file is still being updated in C:\Program Files\Safeboot not in C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC

Is this a bug going from the "old" Install paths to the new install directory?

Perhaps there is a registry hack to get around this during upgrade install?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 8

I don't know about 'bug'. Usually you push client updates from the server console, not by reinstalling the client. Pushing the client update does not have this problem.
Highlighted

Funnily enough I got the same problem when I pushed the files down from the console as well. Reason for the 'reinstall' as it were is because it has already got an entire set of users on the machine and the new job uses the autodomain script during install
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 8 of 8

An upgrade won't remove your users. It just replaces the associated fileset. When we went from 5.1.3 to 5.1.7, we kept the C:\Program Files\SafeBoot path on new installs. Existing installs should continue using [APPDIR] which was defined during their original install. Installing over the top of an existing install is only asking for trouble. At the next synch, it will likely undo what you tried to do with the reinstall. It would probably also fail to update files that are in use and not properly upgrade the SBFS files.

It sounds like you should call for a support person or installation assistance. I believe that your misinterpretations of how the system operates could cost your users dearly.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community