cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't remove Safeboot MBR during automated O/S refresh

My organization's desired strategy for upgrading to Win7 is rather unique.  The process needs to be completely automated.  They want to kick off the O/S refresh process from within WinXP.  They have built a 64-bit WinPE ISO which includes the necessary Safeboot drivers to allow them to boot into WinPE without using an actual CD.  Here's where things get weird: They don't want to preserve the encryption or decrypt the drive; rather, they want to just format the disk and lay down the new O/S.  The problem is that when they do this, they're not overwriting the MBR, so when they try to boot into Win7, they get "MIssing Operating System".  They say they have tried many different 3rd party MBR-editting tools, but none have worked.  It is as if the Safeboot MBR is "locked" and cannot be overwritten.

Do you have any advice on how we can get rid of the Safeboot MBR without using any interactive tools?  Keep in mind that we're using a 64-bit WinPE environment, so legacy utilities such as fdisk.exe are not an option for us.

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't remove Safeboot MBR during automated O/S refresh

Unfortunately, no.  I know it's strange, but they don't want to keep the machine encrypted; they want to be able to blow away the encryption & data, format the drive and install the new O/S. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

So, why doesnt the unlock command meet the requirement?

Is the unlock command supposed to allow them to overwrite the Safeboot MBR?  Which section in the guide covers this specifically?

Thanks for all your help!

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

It's all in the documentation - I think it's step 4 off the top of my head. 🙂

Hello,

I am trying to do a complete wipe out.  I tried step 4 like you mentioned in the documentation.  I ran EpeWinUpgradeTool64.exe -SetFileLocks Unlock from command line before reboot the machine but it did not work.  I even put it in my Task Sequence but still the MBR was not unlocked.  I disabled the McAfee agent service before running the command.  We are using EEPC 7.x Am i doing something wrong.  Please advice. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

did you try to write an MBR after unlocking it and rebooting? If so what was the result/error code?

I am sorry for my ignorance, are there instructions for writing an MBR after unlocking it? I tried to use google but not getting much information on it.  Any help, link to guides would be great.

Thank you.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator