cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating Client File Updates

Has anyone automated modifying group configurations to update client files? We have a large number of machine groups, and it takes FOREVER to open each one and uncheck the old client files and check in the new ones.
If I can get the files updated in the Console automatically, I believe I can use the "SetMachineConfigToGroup" command in a batch file in place of the "replace all to group configuration" button in the console.

Any thoughts?
8 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

RE: Automating Client File Updates

personally I'd use setmachinecfg, not setmachineconfigtogroup.

that way you can ensure only the file groups change, and no other settings.

I'm not finding any info about the setmachinecfg command in the Scripting doc. Any more info?
And is there not a way to update these at a group level? It would much easier to manage tasks like these at the group level rather than the machine level.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

sorry, my mistake - it's UpdateMachineCFG

S.

How do you assign/remove filesets with the UpdateMachineCFG? From the scripting doc, it sounds like you can only change the stuff listed in the .ini file. I'm looking for a way to update the configs and move from the 5.1.6 client files to the 5.1.9 client files.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

it's been a long day :-(

the correct command is setmachinefilegroups...

Sorry.

It doesn't appear you can use a wildcard for the machine, and just specify a Machine Group. Is that accurate? Do you really need to run the command for each machine? It can be done, just seems very bulky.
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

just specify a group, then the command should process each machine in the group?

That worked! I stand corrected. Good thing it's Friday afternoon.
MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.