Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sri_h
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Accessing disk when token is invalidated

Hi,

My laptop is encrypted with Mcafee endpoint encryption. This requires username password at boot. Yesterday my keyboard had a problem which resulted in some characters duplicated. This resulted in wrong password for few attempts and now I get "user token invalidated" error when I make an attempt to login. I talked to my IT support and it seems they don't support Mcafee EE anymore and so recovery requests. I tried my best to convince them but it seems they don't have the recovery tool.

I am trying to find out what does error "token invalidated" mean. Does it mean my old password is gone forever and only option is recovery? If I do remember my password is there a way to make it accept the password. 

Please help

3 Replies
McAfee Employee jhall2
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Accessing disk when token is invalidated

If self recovery was enabled, you can click Options | Recovery | Self Recovery and answer the questions. If not, your IT Administrator would need access to the Manager in order to perform a recovery to reset your token. The recovery process is a simple code exchange between the user and IT Administrator. However, if there is no access to the Manager, there is no method to reset the token.

sri_h
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response.

I did try the self recovery. But this laptop was set-up 4 years back and I might have missed the format of some of the answers (date) so I ended up exhausting max retry. I am pretty sure I remember the password now so is there anyway I can make it use the password again instead of recovery? Will it help if I put disk in a different laptop?

My IT admin doesn't have access to recovery manager. I can request them to install again but I assume some kind of license would be required to install and recover

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Sorry - your data is probably lost. "Token invalidated" means you guessed so many times the system defended itself by completely zeroing your login information, forcing you to work with a company helpdesk person to get access.

The only way to recover in this case is by using the helpdesk system your computer is already registered to - if that's been deleted, recovery of your user is simply impossible. Reinstalling it won't recreate your user key.

The only thing I can suggest is try a different user? Most companies add the real person plus helpdesk user IDs to computers - if you can find out one of their user name/password combinations you can still login.

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.