Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovset
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

0xe0020007 error on couple of workstations

Have very unpleasant issue with EEPC version 5.2

On workstations with ASUS P5KPL-VM or P5KPL-AM mainboards after successfull auth. (when safeboot must start main OS) we get 0xe0020007 (error reading disk sector).

The strange thing is in successfull boot after 10-15 reboots. Really, ok, if this issue is in uncompatibility with that hardware, why it could boot sometimes? Very SOMEtimes, but it boots.

We try to flash new bioses (and old ones too) with no effect on the problem.
For test purpose we allready try to use "Update MBR..." and/or "Update number of sides reported..." filesets. And it had no effect too.

We try to turn on and off ACPI support in bios. And even try to set HDD controller in compatible mode (enchansed mode is default one).

The problem is OS independent as we got it on XP, Vista and W7 boxes.
10 Replies
ChrisH
Level 7
Message 2 of 11

RE: 0xe0020007 error on couple of workstations

I have the same issue on different machines, http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=234098 I have raised a call with McAfee support.
ovset
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

And so, did you get real help with this issue?

Now, we find two boxes with hardware identical to other "problem boxes". But that two boxes have no boot problems at all.
For test purposes we try to reinstall OS (and EEPC too happy on one of that "healthy" boxes and on two problem boxes. With no result: the "healthy" box remains healthy and the problem boxes have the same boot problems.

That's some real mystery...
ChrisH
Level 7
Message 4 of 11

No not any real help. I spent the best part of a day searching for information about BIOS dates atc, to answer the suggestions that were mademade (both post feb 07), but we rebuilt the 2 machines and they seem ok. still no answer though, and potentially 100's of failures waiting to happen.
ChrisH
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

Did you run a full chkdsk on the hdd, just incase there are bad sectors. Also is it a SATA or IDE HDD ? ours were SATA and McAfee suggets changing bios settings for SATA HDD to legacy and turning AHCI off.
We still have a call open

Same error on selected Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops. BIOS up/downgrades do not help. Intermittent Error 0xe0020007 (Error reading disk sector). Chkdsk (and other disk scan utilities) reports no errors. Disk is SATA but BIOS emulates it as IDE.

SafeTech Emergency Boot does not work at all. It hangs system good (KB and mouse do not respond). SafeTech encryption removal also fails.

Problem persists in EEPC 5.1.7, 5.2.0, 5.2.1 and 5.2.2.

Safeboot 4.2 works fine on those systems.
ovset
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

I use low level utility (MHDD) to view disk surface health and SMART attributes.
There are no relocated sectors on any of disks and there are no "hard to read" sectors too.

We have SATA drives on all of workstations. The suggested action with changing controller mode to compatible one doesn't help.
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

It's more likely to be a bug in the BIOS than a hard issue with the HDD.

So it is hardware vendor to be blamed for all that EEPC 5.x trouble?
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Superficially, I guess yes - if they followed the specs everything would work perfectly, but they are forced to add more and more bleeding edge features to differentiate themselves within a consolidating fast moving market which will not pay for quality, or tolerate the status quo.

So, I guess the ultimate culprit is us, you and I, for wanting cheap computing power.

By the time a new laptop is released, the engineers who made it are already re tasked on another project, virtual teams are disbanded. There's no interest or demand re fixing niche problems like the ones FDE products point out, so it's up to the FDE vendors to find work arounds and kludges to make things work that should have worked out of the box.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator