cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The description for Event ID 2179 from source MSME cannot be found

Jump to solution

I recently updated the MSME from 7.6 to 8.0 and the Exchange Server 2010 from SP2 to SP3 rollup 6.

and I receive in event viewer a flood of the same error:

The description for Event ID 2179 from source MSME cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

TS: Operation has timed out.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Message was edited by: dgeronik on 7/7/14 7:13:04 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: The description for Event ID 2179 from source MSME cannot be found

Jump to solution

The 2179  errors relate to TrustedSource IP Reputation. usally the event will contain something like one of these

1. TS: Operation failed due to system corruption.

2. TS: Operation has timed out.

3. TS: Unable to allocate memory for operation.

(Maybe the rest of the event you are posting has ".... contains the following data: TS: Operation has timed out"??).

IP rep is activated in Settings & Diagnostics - AntiSpam.

It uses the older method for GTI whereby it attemps a DNS querey to get to the McAfee GTI server on the internet.

MSME8 doesn't have internal McAfee GTI Proxy capability yet - I beleive this will be a capability addition to MSME 8.5.

The most common is TS: Operation Timed out  - the event suggests there is an issue getting a DNS request to McAfee GTI Servers out of your network.to check IP rep on e-mail coming in.

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

The 2179  errors relate to TrustedSource IP Reputation. usally the event will contain something like one of these

1. TS: Operation failed due to system corruption.

2. TS: Operation has timed out.

3. TS: Unable to allocate memory for operation.

(Maybe the rest of the event you are posting has ".... contains the following data: TS: Operation has timed out"??).

IP rep is activated in Settings & Diagnostics - AntiSpam.

It uses the older method for GTI whereby it attemps a DNS querey to get to the McAfee GTI server on the internet.

MSME8 doesn't have internal McAfee GTI Proxy capability yet - I beleive this will be a capability addition to MSME 8.5.

The most common is TS: Operation Timed out  - the event suggests there is an issue getting a DNS request to McAfee GTI Servers out of your network.to check IP rep on e-mail coming in.

Jump to solution

I disabled the IP reputation and the errors gone.

Thanks a lot Aidan!

Highlighted
JPace
Level 7
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

I seem to have this problem constantly and I cannot get rid of it. If I disable IP Reputation I get more spam coming in. The Error I get is TS: Operation failed due to system corruption.

Anyone have any further help to figure this out please?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.