Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 13

Re: Problem with upgrade from Groupshield to MSME

Jump to solution

Have a look at https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB72543 solution 2

Doesn't look like your using default port  (substitue memseepoupgrade with gseepoupgrade)

Specifiy port details.

Jump to solution

I thought you were both on to something there but unfortunately I get pretty much the same result:

GSEePOUpgrade 3.PNG

The log file is slightly different this time though:

-----------------------START DEBUG-----------------------

----------------------03/20/13  08:03:04-----------------

08:03:04 Found that EPO Version is 4.5

08:03:39 Com error1

08:03:39 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

08:04:11 Com error in getting ServerName

08:04:11 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

08:10:18 Com error in gettting SQL Named Instance

08:10:18 ADODB Error: Code = 80040e4d Code meaning = IDispatch error #3149 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = Login failed for user 'uk.antiv'.

08:10:18 Com error in getting DomainName/ServerName

08:10:18 ADODB Error: Code = 80040e4d Code meaning = IDispatch error #3149 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = Login failed for user '{domain removed}\uk.antiv'.

08:10:21 Impersonate failed for User: {domain removed}\uk.antiv

----------------------03/20/13  08:10:21-----------------

-----------------------STOP DEBUG------------------------

Note the IDispatch error. That's new.

I might add here that my predecessor installed this ePO Server and SQL Express on a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller. I seem to recall SQL Express doesn't like being on a DC. I could be wrong. Either way, it's been running faultlessly for many years.

Andy.

Jump to solution

OK, I think I've fixed it. I looked in the SQL Server logs and saw events like this:

• Login failed for user '{domain omitted}\uk.antiv'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.
  • Login failed for user 'uk.antiv'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.

I could see that the upgrade utility was attempting to authenticate using the currently logged on user using SQL authentication. In this case it's the domain account uk.antiv. So I figured if I set the SQL authentication to be SQL and Windows (mixed) then it would work. I have to state at this point that I'm no SQL expert, let alone familiar with authentication methods. Having changed it to mixed mode, I got exactly the same errors, until I figured that (duh!) the upgrade utility was looking for a SQL account. So I created one with the same name, credentials and permissions as the existing domain user (I think I had to delete the existing domain user from the SQL server logins first, now I think about it).

I re-ran the upgrade utility and hey presto, it worked:

GSEePOUpgrade 4.PNG

Now on to the upgrade proper. What a faff this has been, but thanks to Aidan and tlange for their pointers.

Andy.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center