cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with MSME v7.6

Jump to solution

Hi guys.

I have a problem when launch de the aplication McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange v 7.6.

Appear the message:

"McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange is not currently avaliable, please try later".

The service of this aplication is started.

When I use in this console "new connection" I can open the console of MSME  of other Exchagner server.

But I cant't open the console of the same server.

Thanks for Help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: Problem with MSME v7.6

Jump to solution

Common issues with config ..

If Win2008 with UAC enabled - right-click icon on desktop/start menu and select run as admin.

Corrupt XML

Stop the McAfee Security for Microsft Exchange Service

Ensure all related process are no still in task manager - safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe (2) and several postgres.exe processes

Access <MSME Install folder>\config rename mcafeeconfig.xml to old

Access <MSME Install folder>\config\<langauge code> e.g. 0409 for English

Choose Default security or enhance security config and copy the relevane mcafeeconfig back to <MSME Install folder>\config

Start the McAfee Security for Microsft Exchange Service

Event View messages about Database failing to initialise - or postgres processes not loading.

Ensure all related process are no still in task manager - safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe (2) and several postgres.exe processes

Check the location you have configured for the Quarantine Database Location

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSME\Repository\Variables -  DataPath

or

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\McAfee\MSME\Repository\Variables -  DataPath

Make sure this Points to a valid "local" folder on which Local System has full control

Default may be something like McHOME which is the AllUsersProfile structure.

You could try deleting the existing MSMEData folder and restart service - check if the Postgres system loads correctly and new DB created.

Or

Specify new location for Quarantine Database in the key specified above (if ePO managed ensure the policy is corrected in extension also and policy enforced)

Then restart the service - check task manager for safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe (2) and several postgres.exe processes and new db folder (MSMEData) created at new location.

10 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Common issues with config ..

If Win2008 with UAC enabled - right-click icon on desktop/start menu and select run as admin.

Corrupt XML

Access <MSME Install folder>\config rename mcafeeconfig.xml to old

Access <MSME Install folder>\config\<langauge code> e.g. 0409 for English

Choose Default security or enhance security config and copy the relevane mcafeeconfig back to <MSME Install folder>\config

Event View messages about Database failing to initialise - or postgres processes not loading.

Check the location you have configured for the Quarantine Database Location

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSME\Repository\Variables -  DataPath

or

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\McAfee\MSME\Repository\Variables -  DataPath

Make sure this Points to a valid "local" folder on which Local System has full control

Default may be something like McHOME which is the AllUsersProfile structure.

You could try deleting the existing MSMEData folder and restart service - check if the Postgres system loads correctly and new DB created.

Or

Specify new location for Quarantine Database in the key specified above (if ePO managed ensure the policy is corrected in extension also and policy enforced)

Then restart the service - check task manager for safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe (2) and several postgres.exe processes and new db folder (MSMEData) created at new location.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help.

But i resolve this issue clicking with the right button and "run as administrator".

The both actions are correct. 

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Att

Roberto Rossi

alexn
Level 14
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

1.Stop the McAfee Security for Microsft Exchange Service

2.Ensure all related process are no still in task manager - safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe (2) and several postgres.exe processes

3.Access <MSME Install folder>\config

4.Rename mcafeeconfig.xml to oldmcafeeconfig.xml

5.Access <MSME Install folder>\config\<langauge code> e.g. 0409 for English

6.Choose Default security or enhance security config and copy the relevane mcafeeconfig back to <MSME Install folder>\config

It will fix this issue if the XML file was currupt.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Roberto,

How to enable Debug logging in McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange 7.6 (KB73025)

See Sextion on setting up and running degugs from Registry.

When issue happens Stop MSME and McAfee Framework service

Set up debugging from registry as per article

Start only MSME Service (epo might write over the settings for debugs via Framework service)

Try to open the config in normal way (If Win2008 with UAC please use right-click run with admin)

Once it fails - close the config.

Stop the service

Reset the reg keys as per article to ensure debugs turned off.

Zip up and supply all logs and broken mcafeeconfig.

Aidan

Jump to solution

I noticed that this problem appears more often on MSME 7.6 (we have the lastest patch, etc.) than in Groupshield.  Since we moved to MSME, this happens almost everytime when we reboot the server.  Does anyone have the same experience?

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Do you have to replace the config each time?? Is it corrupt??

Is the MSME ePO managed??

Jump to solution

Yes, I have to replace the config each time.  I suppose it is corrupt because it always gets resolved whenever I replace the old xml.

Yes, MSME is ePO managed.

When I called McAfee I was told like, "yes this happens and this is the fix.." but I want a permanent fix.  I always have to replace the config.xml almost everytime I reboot the server.

I didn't know about this before because I dont really launch MSME everytime I reboot the server.  But when I started seeing the patterns, this happens a lot in MSME to the point that we are considering dropping MSME and going with another product because 99% of our Exchange issues are caused by MSME.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Well it is correct that it can happen - but at least it should have been troubleshot to check what exactly was going wrong usually we can find an explnation and if necessary get a fix.

I would advise to re-open the case or open a new one and supply the broken mcafeeconfig for evaluation and testing.

Jump to solution

Hi Aiden,

First thanks so much for being responsive and proactive about this.  I really appreciate it. 

Second, is there anything I can do now (like turn on logging, etc.) to prepare before calling Mcafee so it will be ready before I reboot my server next time?  Because obviously I cannot restart Exchange servers anytime and easily. 

When this happened before my first priority is to fix it, then call McAfee.  But when I called McAfee then they told me to "Call when it happens again" but when it happens, I have to fix it immediately and by that time, McAfee don't see the error anymore because I had to fix it asap.

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.