cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor bretzeli
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Problem: Mcafee Security for Exchange 8.5 Patch 1 Update fails on 2010 SP3 CAS with HUB roll

Still we would like to know from Mcafee why this happens because we will have to migrate many other customers.

http://www.butsch.ch/post/Mcafee-Security-for-Exchange-85-Patch-1-Update-fails-on-2010-SP3-CAS-with-...

Product: McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange -- Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Migration Groupshield Mcafee Security for Exchange 8.6 to Patch 1

We first thought this was related to a permission problem but afterwards did see that it also happens with a n account which has highest Security. 

Exchange/Local/Schema/ads etc.

Make sure you have a backup of Groupshield before you start the update process. You can export it within Groupshield

Product: McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange -- Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Logfile Windows Installer

MSI (s) (C4:AC) [08:50:13:980]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=MSExchangeIS,Action=1,Wait=1,)

StartServices: Service: MSExchangeIS

Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (C4:AC) [08:51:38:394]: Product: McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange -- Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (C4:AC) [08:52:52:544]: Product: McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange -- Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:966]: I/O on thread 2460 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:966]: I/O on thread 8360 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:982]: I/O on thread 8428 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:982]: I/O on thread 9132 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:982]: I/O on thread 7128 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:C4) [08:56:40:982]: I/O on thread 5440 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (C4:AC) [08:56:40:982]: Product: McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange -- Error 1920.Service MSExchangeIS (MSExchangeIS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.alert

Solution:

Solution:

Press Cancel, it will do a small rollback of Windows Installer.

Start Setup again.

Fill out the paths for the Install and the Database as you had them before!

Choose the Option IMPORT as last step and all will stay.

Run the installation again.

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problem: Mcafee Security for Exchange 8.5 Patch 1 Update fails on 2010 SP3 CAS with HUB roll

Can you clarify version you are upgrading from - previous versions are 7.6, 8.0, 8.5.

Secondly - one of the screen in the install process would show you the Exchange Roles detected - you the question here states "Hub\CAS" and yet the error suggests that it trying to start Exchange Store?? Is the installer also detecting a mailbox role or is this genuinely only Hub\CAS??? 

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Problem: Mcafee Security for Exchange 8.5 Patch 1 Update fails on 2010 SP3 CAS with HUB roll

* Migration from 8.5.238.100 to latest Version released to date: 11.11.2015

Yes correct seen> the Update process tries to Start a Service on the CAS/HUB which does not exist because the Mailbox Role ist not installed.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Would need the install log and possibly MER - can you open a case in support??

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Open the CASE for us we will then post i will fore sure not RUN mer.EXE spend 2 hrs, choose 20 pulldown menus so Intel can Debug their own software.

Post the Case number here please...

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

You need to call support or access support portal to open a case - you need to provide your grant number details as entitlement for support.

This information (real name/company details /grant number) is not available to me on a Public Community - nor should it be expected to be - therefore I cannot open a case with information I do not have nor would I publish anything like grant number etc on a Public website which should not be disclosed. This is not is not the Support vehicle - this is a public community. 

My suspicion is for some reason the installer is detecting a mailboxrole reg key or something that make its decide there is an information store there - the logs would most likely give the reason.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Youn can open a PRE Sales ticket for the other 20+ customer we will migrates as soon as fixed. This will not run on the cost of the customer like the past years. Or contact me PM and solve it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Sorry I would suggest you contact your sales/support contact people directly for your region/country and have this done - I do not have information on who you are, what company (or companies) you represent and therefore I do not have access to your (or those companies) grant numbers.

There is a specific sales escalation team who would handle this as per your expectations on provision of correct details, identity and grant number.  

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I know just trying on pre sales. They dont care at all evene for Mcafee partners.

Highlighted

Hi

Same here but with Edge Role. 8.5 to 8.51

I suggest like in release notes first uninstall old version.

"

We do not support the automatic upgrade of a pre-release software version. To upgrade to a

production release of the software, you must first uninstall the existing version."

Watch out on Mailbox Server it removes MSMEODUser user and every server restart we need run manually D:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\MSME\bin\E2007 Agents\GetHubTxDetails.ps1 to send client tasks to recipients

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community