cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all e-mail messages have SPAM report attached.

Hello,

We use Exchange 2010 with MSME 7.6. We have problem with Security for Microsoft Exchange 7.6. People complain that they get a lot of spam. To troubleshoot this problem I have added option to antispam policy to attach a verbose spam report to every e-mail message. The problem is that MSME attaches spam report to only some e-mail messages, not all. There are spam messages that have spam prefix added to subject, but still these do not have spam report in the mail headers. What could be wrong?

Thanks.

5 Replies
Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Not all e-mail messages have SPAM report attached.

Mail must be determined to be from an external source to be scanned for spam - e.g. if mail is downloaded by another internal server such as a POP3 server or mail routing server and then passed to Exchange - this mail may not be determined to be external.

Mail arriving in Outlook from other sources such as configured to directly download from Hotmail or Gmail (PO3, IMAP etc) etc will not pass through Exchange so they will not get scanned for Spam.

Mail over a certain size will not get scanned for spam   (Product Guide - Chapter 4 - Policy Manager - Core Scanner and Filters - Configuring Anti-Spam Settings),  Default is 250Kb so if mail size is bigger than this it will not be passed to Spam Engine.  

Thanks for your answer. I have configured to add prefix to spam messages **SPAM**. But some messages don't have spam report about rules activated, even though they have **SPAM** atached to their subject. So it looks like that they go through antispam filter. And in the Groupshield Console Detected Items I can see that message and I can see what rules were activated.

Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Have you set the Report Threshold to a custom score???  Set the Reporting Threshhold to same level as Low (or just use Low)  and let me know if this still happens.

Here is how my antispam policy looks like:

Untitled.png

tlange
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

you need to change the spam reporting threshold to 'custom' and leave the customer score value of 4.5

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community