cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

MSME notification sender e-mail address

Hi,

I am setting up the notification policy for McAfee Security for MS Exchange, and I have a (hopefully) quick question about the Sender E-mail address.

By default this is MSMEODuser@example.org and the McAfee online help and the product guides both say that "McAfee recommends that you do not modify the Sender E-mail address because the software creates and uses this address for multiple purposes".

My question is - what are these 'multiple purposes' and what will I break if I change this address?  I can't find any details about this anywhere...

Thanks.

17 Replies
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 18

Re: MSME notification sender e-mail address

the user in the sender field is used for sending all the alerts and reports that msme can generate.

to answer your question about what will happen if you change the address can you let me know:

what version of msme is installed and is this a mailbox, hub or mailbox/hub server?

Hi,

We have installed MSME version 8.5.8327.103 on all our Exchange servers.  We have a group of servers running the CA and Hub roles, and another group just running the mailbox role.

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 18

In the mailbox role - look at msme interface - settings & diagnostics - on demand  (HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\McAfee\MSME\Systemstate)

This should reflect the user that was created - it will be a genuine user in AD and a mailbox in Exchange.
Thats the one that should be used.

I also try to change the sender adress.

Actualy it is MSMEODUser@msme.com but that is not the mail adress of the AD account msmeoduser.

My customer wants to use an internal mail adress like name@example.org

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 18

for the mailbox only servers they should use the msmeoduser@<AD domain> account for the notification senders address.  if they use a different address, then msme may run into authentication issues when trying to connect to the hub server to send the notification email. 

This would maybe be ok but at the Moment, MSME is sending using @msme.com and not @<ad Domain>

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 18

just change the msme.com to whatever the customers email domain is. it doesn't need to be the AD domain name like i said above.     

Does not work. Still sending as MSMEODUser@msme.com

Before you ask: I changed the Sender using ePO Policy for MSME 8.5 AND checked the StandAlone UI @ the Exchange Servers.

Both showing MSMEODUser@customer.domain - still mailing as MSMEODUser@msme.com

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community