Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filipk
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

MSME 8.51 Web console and StandaloneUI unavailable

Jump to solution

Hello, we have MSME 8.5.8327.103 installed on Windows Server 2012 R2, MS Exchange 2013.

The web console was working fine for a few months, until one day we got the message "The McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange is not currently available. Please try again later."

I've tried to access it remotely, locally and through StandaloneUI, but the end result is the same.

The server is syncing normally with ePO, but there are no new Threat events for 2 weeks now (usually there are a few dosen a day).

All services are running, access control is configured properly, new postgres database was created as per KB73168​ and the server was rebooted, but with no change. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling MSME.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanx,

Filip

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: MSME 8.51 Web console and StandaloneUI unavailable

Jump to solution

in task manager what is the memory size showing for both rpcserv processes?  one of them should be above 90mb.  if not then the scanner hasn't loaded properly and it could be that the config is corrupt.  you could try resetting the config to default.  to do that stop msme.  then open windows explorer to the msme\config\0409\default folder and copy the mcafeeconfig.xml to the msme\config folder and overwrite the xml file in that folder.  restart msme.

then try to access the webui.  if that works it is probably the policy coming from epo that is the cause for this issue.  to verify that, try enforcing policies on the local server and see if the issue comes back.  that will tell you if epo is corrupting the policy or not.

also are there any 2045 events listed in the app log?

10 Replies
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

in task manager what is the memory size showing for both rpcserv processes?  one of them should be above 90mb.  if not then the scanner hasn't loaded properly and it could be that the config is corrupt.  you could try resetting the config to default.  to do that stop msme.  then open windows explorer to the msme\config\0409\default folder and copy the mcafeeconfig.xml to the msme\config folder and overwrite the xml file in that folder.  restart msme.

then try to access the webui.  if that works it is probably the policy coming from epo that is the cause for this issue.  to verify that, try enforcing policies on the local server and see if the issue comes back.  that will tell you if epo is corrupting the policy or not.

also are there any 2045 events listed in the app log?

filipk
Level 9
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

One rpcserv process is 3.930.000 K and the other is 2.600 K.

Did you mean 2045 events in Windows Application logs? There are none in the last 5 days, but this has been going on for 3 weeks. Unfortunately I don't have any older logs than that.

I will try to replace the config file. The thing is that the policy was not changed in the last few weeks, and the webUI stopped working suddenly.

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

that definitely indicates the scanner hasn't loaded properly which means msme isn't scanning emails right now and is also why the webui won't open.  if you could, enable debug logging and restart msme and after it starts collect the logs and either post them or upload them to ftp://custftp2.nai.com/incoming/tlange so i can take a look to see whats going on.

to enable logging

open regedit to hklm\software\wow6432node\mcafee\msme\trace

set dword "level" to 3  -- create it if it isnt there

set string "Path" to a folder location (ie c:\debug) -- create the reg value if it isn't present.  the folder will get created automatically

filipk
Level 9
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Ok, so I've tried resetting the config to default and after a few minutes I can access the webUI, but only with a domain account, not with a local admin account.

StandaloneUI only works when "Run as administrator" is used.

I've enforsed the old policy from ePO and it seems that MSME is working for now.

I will send you the debug logs, maybe you can see what was the problem or what is causing the non domain account restrictions on the webUI.

Thank you for now!

McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Sounds like the local account doesn't have rights to access the webui.  you can check the acl permissions for msme by going to the msme\bin directory and double clicking "sdedit.exe"  if your local account isn't there then add it, restart msme and test to see if it will allow you in. 

Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Usually if you have to right-click StandaloneUI.exe there is "User Access Control" or access rights involvement.

It would be advisable that if you have to use this to open StandaloneUI.exe - then to be sure it would be best to do same with sdedit.exe to attempt to add security info for webui site.

After policy enforcement you might have to restart the msme service to see if issue returned.

You can leave debugs on for this - after service restart try access both standaloneui and web ui - then stop logging if you reproduce.

filipk
Level 9
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

The account is there. When I try to access I get the browser not supported message, and after clicking continue I get the "The McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange is not currently available. Please try again later." message.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Make sure you are using the FQDN in the MSME URL, otherwise you will likely get:

"The McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange is not currently available. Please try again later."

If you only use the hostname as below, you will likely get a Certificate error (address mismatch):

Wrong

hxxps://<hostname>/MSME

Right

hxxps://<hostname>.mydomain.com/MSME

filipk
Level 9
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

tlange, I can't upload the logs to the ftp site, Access is denied when trying anonymously.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator