Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

MSME 7.6 find banned content rule not working

Jump to solution

We have Exchange 2010 and MSME 7.6 running.

I've created a 'custom filter rule': MSME > Policy Manager > Shared Resources > Filter Rules > (Under Content Scanner Rules) Create New > Entered a name: OurBannedContent, added a phrase i just found in an email that is now in a specific email box 'stay hard in bed', and used the 'Ends with' setting for this Phrase. I added this rule to the existing 'Sex (English)' category.

Next I checked: MSME > Policy Manager > On-Demand (Find Banned Content) > click 'Master Policy' > Tab 'View Settings' > and the 'Rules group: Sex (English)' is present and enabled.

Next I created an On-Demoand Scan: MSME > Policy Manager > Dashboard > On-Demand Scan > New Scan > 1. Not scheduled > 2. Selected the particular mailbox only > 3. Policy to use: Find Banned Content > 4. 'OurFindBannedContent'

Now, when I run the scan, the result is 'nothing'... Progress is 100%, but nothing is found....

I know there is an email with the subject: 'Cant stay hard in bed?'

I tried other settings, adding words, parts of phrases if other emails in that email box, but with no luck at all.

The next step i did was re-configure the On-Demand scanning process by removing the ODUser and add the user again, all according McAfee KnowledgeBase - On-Demand scan fails in Security for Microsoft Exchange on a Microsoft Exchan...

Also checked McAfee KnowledgeBase - Content Scanning Rules are ignored when importing a Security for Microsoft Ex...

But whatever I do, nothing works. The email is still in the email box, and also the on-demand scan reports zero results.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

Re: MSME 7.6 find banned content rule not working

Jump to solution

Found the solution, according to " McAfee KnowledgeBase - On-Demand scan fails in Security for Microsoft Exchange on a Microsoft Exchan... " I could change the registry key in McOd**@domain.nl or leave it to McOd**@domain.local and add the .local addres as an smtp alias.

I did perform the first option, renaming the registry key, but this did not work. So now I changed it back to the original .local, and added the .local as an alias to the emailbox, and now it works.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

I just found the diagnostics option in MSME, and enabled it. Run the scan again, and a log file named 'RunScheduledX64.txt' reports (for every mailbox):

3:14, 10:46:59.4586110, Thread ID: 8, Level: Info, AutoDiscover is [an email address]

3:14, 10:46:59.5054101, Thread ID: 7, Level: Info, Certificate is not valid so returning false

3:14, 10:46:59.5522092, Thread ID: 7, Level: Info, Certificate is not valid so returning false

3:14, 10:46:59.5522092, Thread ID: 8, Level: Info, Exception in initfolder: The Autodiscover service could not be located.

3:14, 10:46:59.5522092, Thread ID: 8, Level: Info, getAllItems called

3:14, 10:46:59.5678089, Thread ID: 8, Level: Info, getItemCount ex:Request failed. The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

So now the question is, what to do next....

When I look at the 'Manage Full Access Permission...' of every mailbox, the 'McOD_***' user is in there, so the McOD user has full access. So why the 'unauthorized'???

Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

The biggest problem you'll face with that is the MSME 7.6 went EOL at the turn of the year and is no longer supported. 

Its also clear the issue there is not the rule but the ODS not working - to test rule you could apply that rule to OnAccess Policy and send from one account to another as a separate test.

For the ODS -

Couple of checks

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\McAfee\MSME\E2007 - there will be a list of URL for EWS  are these correct for your environment.

Does the McOD user have a vailid e-mail address that is in its mailbox properties - e..g @youdomain.local vs  @yourdomain.com (possibly the .local is not in mailbox e-mailaddress policy 

Best advice I guess would be to get on latest version - MSME 851 - this requires a min level of E2010 SP2 (as per the install instructions in its guide)

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

I understand that a newer version should be better, but the rules should also work with this version I think (or am I wrong). Updating Exchange and MSME is not a solution for now. I think the rules should just work.

I checked the registry, and the settings are right.

I think the problem has something to do with rights, (see my second post here) but the McOD_ user has already full control on every mailbox (looking in the exchange console)....

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Found the solution, according to " McAfee KnowledgeBase - On-Demand scan fails in Security for Microsoft Exchange on a Microsoft Exchan... " I could change the registry key in McOd**@domain.nl or leave it to McOd**@domain.local and add the .local addres as an smtp alias.

I did perform the first option, renaming the registry key, but this did not work. So now I changed it back to the original .local, and added the .local as an alias to the emailbox, and now it works.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community