cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Email being blocked

Jump to solution

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but it sounds like the right place.

I'm a software developer who is creating a Java application that runs on a users PC.  Part of the application will allow an email to be sent.  When testing the email functionality from a basic test program, everything works fine.  When the application has been built and deployed as an executable, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is blocking port 25 so the program is getting errors trying to connect to the SMTP server.  If I disable the "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail", then it works fine.

Can anyone tell me why does a normal Java application work but not the deployed executeable?  What is the "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail" option actually looking for?  What is it using to determine when to block the port?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Java Email being blocked

Jump to solution

the access protection rule is looking at any program that tries to send out emails over port 25.  That means anything from a vbscript to a mailserver program would be blocked if vse doesn't have an exclusion for that process that is sending the email.  It is possible that the test program you tried uses a process that vse already excludes from blocking.

if you open the protection properties, highlight the "Prevent Mass mailing..." and choose edit, you can see the current list vse is using to exclude programs from port blocking.  this is also were you would add in the name of the exe you're program runs under.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

the access protection rule is looking at any program that tries to send out emails over port 25.  That means anything from a vbscript to a mailserver program would be blocked if vse doesn't have an exclusion for that process that is sending the email.  It is possible that the test program you tried uses a process that vse already excludes from blocking.

if you open the protection properties, highlight the "Prevent Mass mailing..." and choose edit, you can see the current list vse is using to exclude programs from port blocking.  this is also were you would add in the name of the exe you're program runs under.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

You're exactly correct.  I came to the same conclusion once I found the "excludes" list.  The java test program was running as "java.exe" which was on the excludes list but the deployed application xxxxx.exe was not on the excludes list and was being blocked.

Thanks.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community