cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GroupShield - An update failed with error 80004005:Unspecified error

On a Windows 2003 Server with SP2, I installed GroupShield 7.0.716.103 and hotfix 447121 on the weekend, after unistalling GroupShield 6, and since then have been getting an Application Log error:

"An update failed with error 80004005:Unspecified error".

The Anti-Virus Engine line shows the engine and DAT versions correctly but in the next column it says "Not Available" and next to the Update Now button there is a red exclamation mark.

On most of the servers that I have updated, I have not seen a problem. But on a few others I am getting errors.

On one server I get the following Application Log errors:

Eventid 9565: The OnAccess (Transport) scanner failed to scan the item '' with error 8004022d.
Eventid 2045: Invalid virus scanner configuration. Unable to start virus scanner.
Check the following parameter: Library.

I have run the SDAT /F update, which runs fine but did not fix it.

Any ideas? I have seen these errors mentioned in the forum, but either none apply to the latest version of GroupShield or simply they don't fix it. Thank you in advance.
6 Replies

RE: GroupShield - An update failed with error 80004005:Unspecified error

Anyone had these issues before? I know other people have seen the errors, what I am not seeing are solutions. This product is doing my head in. Thank you in advance.

GroupShield - An update failed with error 80004005:Unspecified error

Eventid 9565: Invalid virus scanner configuration. Unable to start virus scanner.
Check the following parameter: Library.

Eventid 2045: The OnAccess (Transport) scanner failed to scan the item '' with error 8004022d.

the 8004022d means groupshield cannot read the configuration information. the cause is usually due to a corrupted config file. try resetting the config back to default and restart groupshield. best way to do that is for this situation is to go to the groupshield for exchange\config\0409 folder. copy the mcafeeconfig.xml from that folder to the \config folder. restart groupshield.

for the 9565 event try the following
stop groupshield
stop exchange information store
start exchange information store
start groupshield
Highlighted

Kirkside, did you find a solution for this?

Sorry for the delay, but unfortunately not. This is beginning to wind me up. The below article was released by McAfee on 29th May 2009 so they are obviously aware of this being a problem.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB56309

I am at the point now of removing all McAfee products from the server, rebooting it and checking that there are no McAfee or Network Associates products left. Then start installing again from EPO. Looks like I will be working tonight. The below article was released on 1st April 2009 and the one below was from 22nd May 2009.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB61107
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53500

The forum discussion below that is from 3 years ago. This is obviously an issue that they just cannot seem to resolve.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=164953

Pretty fed up to be honest. So, any recommendations on a better product.

:mad::confused::mad:

Think I solved this issue last night (ah the joys of global server support) by doing the following.

1. I uninstalled Groupshield, McAfee and the framework agent.
  2. Removed McAfee and Network Associates (which had been left behind) from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE).
  3. Rebooted.
  4. Deleted both McAfee and Network Associates folders from the Program Files directory.
  5. Installed McAfee 8.7i followed by patch 1.
  6. Installed Groupshield (latest version) along with the hotfix.
  7. Rebooted.
  8. Using EPO I pushed the Framework agent to install.

So far today, and it has been 14 hours since doing the above, there has not been one error. At 20:00 tonight it will try to do an update, which normally would fail, of which I am hoping will not fail. I am a happy chappy today. I will now have to go on and do the same with my other servers where the upgrade has caused issues.
McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.