Did you mean: 
filue
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

GSE 7.0.1 E2K7 VSAPI and All on OneSystem Scenario

Hey all,

i have an E2K7 all in one System (Server hosts aöö Exchange Roles). OS W2K3 R2

When i enable the VSAPI feature all Outlook user became more or less trouble by accessing their mailbox.

They have messages in the systemtray that OL try to connect.

If i disable VSAPI and only enable the transportscan feature everthing works fine.

If i start OnDemmand scans the scans need ahuge time. for example for 6 mailboxes 100 hours.

The Informationsstore size is 13 GB.

What is recommended in a scenario like this? Use VSAPI and Transport or only Transport and scheduled OD Scans?

Thanks

Christoph / filue

Nachricht geändert durch filue on 07.07.10 05:13:29 CDT
4 Replies
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: GSE 7.0.1 E2K7 VSAPI and All on OneSystem Scenario

In VSAPI settings is Background Scanning enabled??

Any Groupshield errors in application evt log relating to Scan errors, Database initialisation failures, Failed to write to  Database (database will refer to quarantine database)????

filue
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Hey Aidan,

thanks for the right buzzword "Database". There were a wrong path in the registry for

DataPath

in

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\GroupShield for Exchange\Repository\Variables

Now it seems that everthing works fine, also the VSAPI on access is active.

KB60139 helps also.

But there where no eventlogs about this, only an errorcode in the GUI of GSE. I cant say on what occassion this failure come up.

My collegues deinstall the GSE like KB51894 and reinstall it for some weeks. Possible that something happens?! But they do it because the problem with VSAPI and performance.

Now it works

By

filue

filue
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

No backgroung scanning enabled. Databasepath where wrong. After correct the databasepath VSAPI works fine. No Application eventlogs.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee tlange
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Another item you can change in the on-access settings for VSAPI is the lower age limit(seconds).  set it to a value of 86400 (1 day).  what this means is that any email older than 1 day will not get scanned/re-scanned once dats are updated and a user goes to re-open that item.  This will also help with overall performance.  if you feel 1 day is too short a time frame then increase the value by multiples of 86400 to the value you want set.

also on-demand scans should only be run if you know you have a virus and you need to clean it right away.  all other times let the on-access do the scanning.  if you feel you need to run an od scan then do it on the weekends and make sure it stops before business hours start up.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator