Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jebotha
Level 9

Recipient Validation on MEG 7.5

Jump to solution

Hi

Does anyone know what the easiest way on the MEG is to reject email if the recipients do not exist in the organisation (Mail server is internal)?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jebotha
Level 9

Re: Recipient Validation on MEG 7.5

Jump to solution

Hi

I believe I found the answer. I can make use of the Recipient Checks under Email Configuration->Receiving Email and the "Or if the recipient does not satisfy the query", Valid User to tell the device to block emails to a recipient that that does not match anything in an LDAP lookup.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pubcrawler5
Level 7

Jump to solution

Email > Email Configuration > Receiving Email > Anti-RelaySettings > Relaying email
click Add Domain.  Add your domains here.

0 Kudos
jebotha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry, I probably did not make myself very clear. I wasn't talking about anti-relay. Let's take an example. If my mail domain is acme.com and I have a mailbox john@acme.com, how can I reject email destined for non-existing mailboxes?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jebotha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi

I believe I found the answer. I can make use of the Recipient Checks under Email Configuration->Receiving Email and the "Or if the recipient does not satisfy the query", Valid User to tell the device to block emails to a recipient that that does not match anything in an LDAP lookup.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PhilM
Level 14

Jump to solution

I have found that if the MEG system is processing inbound and outbound mail it is necessary create a new protocol preset (tied to something like the IP address on the internal SMTP server) to separate outbound mail from inbound. The default protocol preset has the recipient checking enabled, but the new preset does not. If you only have the default protocol preset in place and then enable recipient checking, the system will try to query the internal LDAP/AD server for "john@externaldomain.com" which, of course, won't exist, and the system will begin rejecting outbound mail.

-Phil.

0 Kudos
jebotha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Many thanks Phil, this is a very good point. I will remember that if I do implement this

0 Kudos