cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail

Jump to solution

I am running Mcafee Quarnatine Manager 7 in conjunctionw ith McAfee Email Gateway.    Mail that us flagged for quarantined by the email gateway is pushed to the mcafee quarantine manager.    MQM  (in my opion) fixes some significant gaps in the McAfee gateway quarantine managment. 

the default settings is that users can view spam items up to 14 days old.    However quarantined items are not automatically purged when they are 2 weeks old.  I can schedule a purge taks BUT it looks like it would purge all quaratined mail.  I can manually run a job to purge mail that is older than a set date.   Neither is a long term solution.

any ideas?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Regis
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail

Jump to solution

I was told by support that among the scheduled tasks quietly left as an exercise to the reader in the setup guide... is a nightly purge task.

My database purge task was setup yesterday and ran in the middle of last night.    It did not delete the existing quaratined items (all of which are under 14 days old).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Regis
Level 12
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I was told by support that among the scheduled tasks quietly left as an exercise to the reader in the setup guide... is a nightly purge task.

My database purge task was setup yesterday and ran in the middle of last night.    It did not delete the existing quaratined items (all of which are under 14 days old).

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.   I am  planning to eventually open a support ticket.

Regis
Level 12
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

To be clear, I don't believe I'm having a problem now that I have a scheduled task for the database purge.  I wouldn't expect or want my mail < 14 days to get purged, but I would want that over 14 days to get deleted.   I just don't have anything quarantined yet that's that old.

I am, however having some performance issues on the MQM, with CPU pegged ever since we cut over the full mail feed.   RPCserv.exe is a very busy little child.

How much hardware have you thrown at your MQM? 

Jump to solution

I snapshotted th VM running MQM first,  but , yes, when I run a scheduled database purge it purges stuff > 14 days old.

AdministrationMgt → Manage Domains  → Select a domain → click modify config

Default  "to keep" is  14 days..    

So the scheduled DB purge job soes seem to pick up these parameters.

Jump to solution

For hardware, I have a Dell PowerEdge server , with a 6-coreIntel Xeon E5-24201.90GHz, and 16 GB RAM.  I am running Vmware a virtual machine for the mail gateway, and a virtual machine for the quarantine manager.   Two virtual CPU's and 3 GB RAM are assigned to the MQM machine (Win 2003 server 32-bit.)  This is for about 50 users.  Everything seems sufficiently responsive.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community