Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Mail not being received.

I know the product is EOL. But there are a lot of rules already configured in the Email Gateway, so we are using it as first email gateway which receives the mail and relays the mail to another gateway. And from 2nd email gateway to end server. This is temporary until we complete all the rules migration. From past few days we are experiencing the MEG has not been receiving mails from certain IPs or domain. Upon investigation we found the IP and domain are not blacklisted and there are no logs for blocked connection( as per my investigation). The sender side delivers the mails successfully as per the sender side investigation. Also if we CC other mail address in that particular all other recipient receives the mails except that of MEG. Does anybody have any idea where I should be looking for blocked connection.

Any kind of suggestion will be highly appreciated.

3 Replies
marcus69
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mail not being received.

Hi @Former Member 

if the senderside tells You that mails have been delivered successfully, there should be logfiles at the senders mailrelay that will tell You if it really was Your EmailGateway that received and acknowledged the reception of the mentioned mail.
It would help a lot if the senderside could send You the corresponding SMTP Logs.

Until now i never had a case with MEG where incoming mail was not visible on the reports. In any case, MEG would write seen mail to the SMTP Logs. You may want to investigate the SMTP Logs using "Log File Tools" and the Message-ID that is found in the SMTP Logs of the sender side.

Best regards,
      Marcus

P.S.: If you find this post helpful, thank You for giving it a Kudo :o)
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 4

hello @marcus69 

Thank you very much for the reply. The problem has started with multiple domains not just single domain.  And upon person confirmation from the sender side they said that the mail has already left their server and email gateway. Also viewed from network aspect as everything is fine and conversation is established between sender and MEG. I will try to view connection status it in Realtime logs of MEG.

marcus69
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi@Former Member 

You're welcome 🙂
Well, as You know and concerning multiple domains, the sender admin has to check which MX is resolved for a certain domain. So mainly this is dependent to DNS resolution from the senders perspective.

If their mailrelay said that the mail was delivered, they should be also able to tell You to which server (IP) they've transmitted the Email viewing their SMTP Log. Regarding this it would also uncover if there is another SMTP Relay in between that might have queued and delayed the mail you're looking for.

If there is no record on the SMTP Log of Your MEG, it is a 100% sure that your MEG never saw or acknowledged this Mail.
As i said, since Release 7.6 i never had to look into SMTP Logs on the backend for debug purposes as barely everything is reflected on the MEG reports.

Best regards
   Marcus

P.S.: If you find this post helpful, thank You for giving it a Kudo :o)
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community