Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swanlee
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

MEG EOL 1 year after we Transitioned from Ironmail

Sorry just have to rant here

I'm really ticked off Intel is yanking the entire product especially since we JUST transitioned from Ironmail to MEG a year ago. We have been Ironmail customers since 2004 and spent nearly a year getting all our settings and configs ported over to MEG just to have Intel/Mcafee nuke the product a year after that. It is ridiculous they did this. Had we known at the time the MEG's would not have any long term support we would have just gone with a completely different product instead of trusting the Ironmail ----> MEG transition. This is really crappy to do this to a corporate product. It would have been much better to just EOL Ironmail and MEG last year instead of this type of treatment.

3 Replies
Regis
Level 12
Message 2 of 4

Re: MEG EOL 1 year after we Transitioned from Ironmail

It is pretty lame.

As I said to the Proofpoint folks after seeing their presentation at FOCUS "you can't polish this MEG EOL turd, but I suppose the glitter you can roll it in is that your solution certainly seems way better poised to block more of the obvious phishes that get past MEG today."  

Our appliances are 4 years old here, so the more I think about it the happier I am that Intel decided to exit  a place where they had a lot of catchup to do, and give us recommendation of a leader that has the full faith and credit of McAfee to play well with our DLP solution.

frank_enser
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

according to McAfee Product and Technology Support Lifecycle - Software & Utilities | McAfee Support and McAfee KnowledgeBase - End of Life for McAfee Email Gateway (MEG) the MEG 7.6.401 is EOL January 11, 2021. Only the previous versions are EOL October 12, 2016.

Regards,

Frank

Regis
Level 12
Message 4 of 4

Frank Enser wrote:

Hi,

according to McAfee Product and Technology Support Lifecycle - Software & Utilities | McAfee Support and McAfee KnowledgeBase - End of Life for McAfee Email Gateway (MEG) the MEG 7.6.401 is EOL January 11, 2021. Only the previous versions are EOL October 12, 2016.

Regards,

Frank

It's more complicated that I'm afraid at least for appliance owners.   If you own appliances,  your support on the hardware ends 5 years from the purchase of that hardware.   If you want support beyond that you have til January 11th 2016 to purchase new hardware, or go virtual on it. 

And of course, "supported" and "still works decently"  are two different things.  I'm not sure how useful the spam filtering is going to be in 2020, for instance.     

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community