cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilM
Level 14

Local & Permitted Domains

I can't see anything in the manual that explains this sufficiently.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between a Local Domain and a Permitted Domain in the Email -> Email Configuration -> Receiving Email -> Anti-Relay settings screen?

Thanks.

-Phil

0 Kudos
6 Replies
apoling
Level 14

Re: Local & Permitted Domains

Hi,

what about the online help of the appliance?

Permitted domain in that section might be a domain that is permitted to relay to outside parties thru the appliance whereas Local Domain is a domain that must be accepted and forwarded to a given host internally (SMTP gateway for example).

Attila

0 Kudos
andyclements
Level 12

A permitted domain will always be accepted and delivered.

A local domain will be accepted but is then subjected to scanning, and may be delivered, dropped, quarantined, etc.

0 Kudos
PhilM
Level 14

A permitted domain will always be accepted and delivered.

So, mail to a permitted domain is treated like a white list?

0 Kudos
andyclements
Level 12

That has been my understanding of it, and what best fits what is in the training slides.  I would go test it to make sure, but my lab environment is having some issues at the moment.

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Hello,

please take a look at Meg Best Practices manual.  On page 23 it properly defines permitted domain with regards to anti-relay (I wish it were defined so in the product manual as well :-( ):

permit_domain_definition.JPG

I hope this further clarifies everything.

Attila

0 Kudos

Many thanks for this, Attila, I will work to update the Admin Guide and Online Help with this useful information!

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos