Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilM
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Local & Permitted Domains

I can't see anything in the manual that explains this sufficiently.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between a Local Domain and a Permitted Domain in the Email -> Email Configuration -> Receiving Email -> Anti-Relay settings screen?

Thanks.

-Phil

6 Replies
apoling
Level 14
Message 2 of 7

Re: Local & Permitted Domains

Hi,

what about the online help of the appliance?

Permitted domain in that section might be a domain that is permitted to relay to outside parties thru the appliance whereas Local Domain is a domain that must be accepted and forwarded to a given host internally (SMTP gateway for example).

Attila

A permitted domain will always be accepted and delivered.

A local domain will be accepted but is then subjected to scanning, and may be delivered, dropped, quarantined, etc.

PhilM
Level 14
Message 4 of 7

A permitted domain will always be accepted and delivered.

So, mail to a permitted domain is treated like a white list?

That has been my understanding of it, and what best fits what is in the training slides.  I would go test it to make sure, but my lab environment is having some issues at the moment.

Highlighted
apoling
Level 14
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

please take a look at Meg Best Practices manual.  On page 23 it properly defines permitted domain with regards to anti-relay (I wish it were defined so in the product manual as well :-( ):

permit_domain_definition.JPG

I hope this further clarifies everything.

Attila

Many thanks for this, Attila, I will work to update the Admin Guide and Online Help with this useful information!

Regards

Andrew

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.